• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$10 INDIAN GOLD

12 posts in this topic

I'm totally lost now. confused-smiley-013.gif

I would think by the wear on the top wing this is an au58

and if you really want to be anal about it then 55 as the wear go to the rest of the wing a bit.

PCGS gave it MS62

now i dont know if is mistake or they kind of forgiving wear for a nice coin ?

1914.jpg

1914a.jpg

Im cluless.

in hand you clearly see coloration difference where the wear is...

if is a mistake... then the hell w/ it...

but if they forgive the wear.... I have Ngc au58 14-s that would worth a small fortune as pcgs ms62 :-)

Don't mistake rub from circulation. Not the same thing. Greg and I had this same discussion about a Buffalo awhile back. He's probably right in that the rub I saw as "wear" was just that..rub. Until I see the actual coin I won't know. Said coin was in a 61 holder so I had speculated WHY it was graded so low.

You can see the rub in the picture but you'll probably need to see it in hand to tell if it's really circ/wear. From the photo it's just rub. And depending on the luster I'm sure a 62 grade is fine. I've seen rub at the 64 level on these coins although...not very often.

jom

you right....

friend of mine heritage one of those which his dadd marked as nice AU and pcgs gave it MS64.

so whats the difference betwin rub and wear ?

isnt that the same thing basically ? isnt rubb even worse as is type of cleaning ?

I don't know how you can really tell by just looking at a photo? I must admit I would say AU myself. But is that wear or just the strike? From the pix it doesn't look like the fields of the coin saw any circulation at all?!?! But what do I know.

This looks like a typically weak struck Indian to me, and the discoloration could be caused by contact with other coins, rather than "rub" from circulation or handling. I have opened up original bank rolls of coin (not $10 gold coins of course) that show identical characteristics on the high points - discoloration. A classic example is with Morgan dollars, where you'll often see discoloration on the eagle's breast, and Liberty's cheek.

The coin probably is technically UNC.

One thing to keep in mind is that these coins didn't exactly see a high degree of usage in commerce. $10 was a considerable amount of money in, say, 1930.

James

im cluless again.

i would think it will take a whole lot of rubbing to wear metal even as soft as gold...

somone sitting at his porch and rubbing his new gold piece for few nights ???

maybe a guard keep his hand in the pocket rubbing the gold piece just to know is there ?

what really seems to me is like somone just bang it onto a counter and then maybe pushed it over to the other side kinda rubing the rest of the wing after damaging the shoulder.

but then.... how come the neck show rub signs ?

maybe combination of both bang.... rubb.... :-)

I dont really buy the "low strike" theory as if such it should have a bloom of luster at the high point.... at list that what i been told... low strike usually = luster

AU62... hehe, i love that....

and i think thats simply what it is .... AU62.

you must remember that the services do not grade coins as the submitters alreasy know the grade of the coin they just want the coin priced and since this coin is a super au 59.999999 with full lustre and not the usual baggy ugly ms60 and also has great eye appeal

it is worth an ms62 price hence the grade

Technical grading aside, I would agree with Michael that it would probably market grade MS62/63. IMHO $10. Indians are normally pretty scruffy and this one seems to have pretty good eye appeal.