• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New St. George

11 posts in this topic

If I had to choose between the 2015, 2012, or 2005 it would be the 2012 for me.

2012sovereignrev400.jpg2005sovereignuncgoldrev400.jpg

And thanks for posting about St George the Dragon Slayer as you have now piqued my interest in these. I read through this online exhibit and the Royal Mint's guide to The Sovereign Reverse Designs - I do prefer Pistrucci’s 1821 remodelled design the most.

This other one is pretty cool too:

George V Pattern Crown

I tend to like the Benedetto Pistrucci the best, followed by the 2012 and 2005. I like the fantasy St. Grorge, but do not like the 2015.

I'm not a big fan of the 2015.

I wish the Royal Mint would bring the Kruger-Gray design proposed for the 1935 Jubilee Crown to fruition. It is a wonderful design (below).

1935_KrugerGray_proposed_crown_zpsdjhhqrhs.jpg

Agree - forgot to add I was going off course a bit. No St. George - just a different looking sovereign.

I was looking at the British Royal Mint site, and it looks like the new St. George is not going on the sovereign, but on a 5 pound silver.

I like it, and I am in the minority as I also like the 2012. The horse looks angry. At least I think I'm in the minority, I rarely hear anyone say anything nice about it.

I'm glad it's not on the sovereign because then I would have to buy it. :)

I like the 2012, just not nearly as much as the original. Haven't quite made up my mind on the 2005 which is described as cartoonish.