• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I MADE A BIG MISTAKE!!!

6 posts in this topic

I have some silver dollars that were encased in 44mm AirTites with an accent ring. I was told that the accent rings were "safe", but now the coins are turning black, especially along the edge. I have removed the coins from the discs and placed them in mylar flips. Can these coins be conserved, or is the damage permanent? Will the problem worsen if no preventative measures are taken?

While I'm at it, I want to make sure that I understand your fees correctly. The Evaluation Fee is charged in any case; if Conservation is deemed appropriate, there is an additional charge; so, the Minimum Charge for both services would be $15. Is this correct, or is the Evaluation Fee waived if conservation is undertaken?

Once conservation is completed, if I choose to have the coins graded, the additional charges would be based on the type of service(s) requested. I don't see some of those options listed on the NCS form. Am I also required to complete an NGC Submission Form?

Thanks,

Chris

From the sounds of your description, it does seem like something conservation could remove. This is, of course, without actually seeing your coins as descriptions can be deceiving. I am not familar enough with the chemical make up of the rings you are describing to really comment on how active the damage may continue to be. Removing them from the offending holders is a good move so long as the new flips are PVC free "hard" type.

As far as conservation fees are concerned, here is a simple answer: If the coin is conserved, the fee is both evaluation and conservation. If the coin is not conserved, the fee is only evaluation.

If you wish to have your coins graded after conservation you would only need to mark the box "Submit all coins for grading" on the NCS submission form. We will handle all of the NGC paperwork here. You will only be charged by NGC for those coins that will grade. Your coins will be submitted under the most economical tier based on your values.

Chris, NCS

"I am not familiar enough with the chemical make up of the rings you are describing.........."

Would it help if I brought one of the accent rings with me on my next visit to your office? It would be important for me and many others to know. I believe that the coin supply company selling this product should be made aware of this if they don't already know.

Thanks for your help.

Chris M

It would certainly be a help to examine one of the rings. We are always curious about the viability of long-term coin storage holders. We would welcome the examination of a storage method that went awry. Perhaps others could learn from your situation.

Chris, NCS

My experience with these holders is similar to to Banknote1's. Perhaps the holders in question were defective or likely there was a residue on the coins before they were placed into the holders.

Chris, NCS