• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Error guys - 1926-S Standing Liberty Quarter

9 posts in this topic

I just got this one today, is this a tilted collar or partial collar? The coin has full reeding where the design goes off the edge from 3 to 6 o'clock. What kind of value (if any) does a coin like this have?\

It looks like she had a spear thrown through her head.

26-S%20SLQ_zpszzfjnz8b.jpg

26-S%20SLQ%20rev_zpsgtsz9aet.jpg

26-S%20SLQ%20partcollar_zpshbwgjybo.jpg

That's a javelin in her head....was it thrown by the model for the coin?

"Railroad edge"

According to Alan Herbert, a "Flanged Partial Collar Strike" is referred to as a "Railroad Rim". The "Tilted Partial Collar Strike" is not. This appears to be a tilted strike.

Chris

Ahhhh.....OK, now that I look more closely at the photo, I see what you mean. But it affects the edge, not the rim....Will have to check the difference between the two terms. Appearance suggests one is a subset of the other.

Mr. Fred Weinberg has chimed in on my thread ATS and called it a "partial collar strike".

In addition to the die breaks and the partial collar, this is one of the few I've seen that still has the right leg clashed into the reverse. Hard to make out in the photos.

Fred's full comment was:

It's a very nice example of a Partial Collar strike, aka: "Railroad Rim".

Also appears to have at least two die cracks......

Yes, it's worth submitting - you should write directly on the plastic submission flip (w/a marker) -- "Tri-Gasket Ring"

Although partial collars are exceeding common on most modern coins denominations, they are very scarce on this SLQ series, as is any major mechanical error......

This is a lovely, scarce error on a circulated coin. I cannot see any reason why it should be in a slab, which partially hides the error. A willing buyer should be able to think for him or her self, though I realize that slabbing has made such thinking obsolete.

TD

I love that error! One of my all-time favorite circulation finds as a kid was a common Roosevelt dime with a railroad rim. It's still hiding amongst my treasures somewhere.