• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Coin To Send In for Grading: 1991 1 oz Gold Panda (Large Date)

7 posts in this topic

Hello and this is my Very First Post. I am deciding what Membership to sign up for so I can get some coins graded. I will be sending in several 1 oz Gold Coins, and need to look at them to see which ones LOOK GOOD (to me), with my limited experience in grading a coin.

I am only 16 months stacking/collecting with my stack at 40% Gold and 60% silver. I just purchased (haven't received) a 1991 Chinese 1 oz Gold Panda (Large Date) in the Original Mint Packaging, which is PVC I believe. It doesn't LOOK like it turned the coin green and it looks really nice in the pictures. The seller was a jeweler and said it looked like an MS70 to him.

I researched this coin through NCG and to date, a total of 92 of these 1991 Large Date Gold Pandas have been Graded. Only 3 received an MS70, and there were 69 that received an MS69 (The Majority).

I am Planning to get this graded by NCG and have no idea what it will come in at, also, I KNOW a picture isn't very accurate, but I will include a Picture of the Exact Coin I am talking about, to get some of YOUR Expert opinions on what it might come back at, and any other information I need to know.

Also, I wanted to just confirm, that some coins I received from APMEX, and I have learned that they "Cherry Pick" all their coins. I have a 2010 & 2013 1 oz Gold Proof Libertad from them! I bought it BEFORE I knew they did this! Is it safe to assume, that any coin I bought from Apmex, is almost sure to come back with a grade of Less than a MS/PF 70? Since they likely already self graded it and decided to NOT send it in themselves for grading?

Also, what membership should I purchase? It will determine how many coins I send it to get graded. I just want to send in several JUST FOR FUN, to see if I get lucky!

Any HELP will be greatly appreciated and I appreciate anyone who takes the time to assist me with this. :golfclap::whistle:(worship)

TEX! (thumbs u

Here is my 1991 Chinese Panda (Large Date) 1 oz Gold Coin.

Description: CHINA - PANDA SERIES

Category: WORLD COINS

Denomination: G100Y

Year/Mint: 1991 CHINA

Variety: PANDA LARGE DATE

Designation: MS

Total Graded: 92

$_12.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Dealing with gold coins there are only certain tiers you can use anyway. You might be best off to become just an Associate Member ($49 as I recall) then satisfy the requirements of the appropriate tier.

Make sure the method you use to ship these coins accords you the right protection. Those USPS Insurance stickers are an invite to thieves.

Welcome to the boards.

Thanks, and Associate is only $39. So I pay $39, and then pay the fee of whatever Tier my coin falls under?

Here are the Memberships. So If I got with Premium, I get $150 CREDIT to use toward Grading? That seems like the one for me?

ELITE

$299/year

PREMIUM PLUS $275 Credit to NGC

$275/year

PREMIUM $150 Credit to NGC

$149/year

ASSOCIATE

$39/year

Gold Coins

Specialty Gold

US coins only. All California fractional, $1 gold, $2.5 gold, $3 gold, $5 Indians, and all better-date US gold. Maximum value $3,000 per coin. Five (5) coin minimum. 6 working days $30

GoldRush/Gold

All US dates for $5, $10, $20 Liberty; $10 Indians; $20 Saint-Gaudens. All common date world gold coins, struck prior to 1980. Maximum value $3,000. Five (5) coin minimum.** 6 working days** $25

NGC used to provide Grading Vouchers, but now they offer a credit and as such I don't see why you wouldn't join under the Premium tier @ 149 and receive the 150 credit.

As to your coin I don't think it would grade 70. The first thing I noticed is the spotting in the upper tier of the Temple of Heaven. I don't know enough to say if this is copper spotting or just toning, but I'm thinking that alone might preclude the coveted 70.

In any case, welcome to the boards :hi:

Also, I wanted to just confirm, that some coins I received from APMEX, and I have learned that they "Cherry Pick" all their coins. I have a 2010 & 2013 1 oz Gold Proof Libertad from them! I bought it BEFORE I knew they did this! Is it safe to assume, that any coin I bought from Apmex, is almost sure to come back with a grade of Less than a MS/PF 70? Since they likely already self graded it and decided to NOT send it in themselves for grading

Yes, it has been my experience that APMEX along with other large dealers go through the raw coins and cherry pick them. I have had to send lot of raw coins back to APMEX, and now only buy graded coins from them unless I am not intending to have the coin graded.