• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buffalo nickel conservation

3 posts in this topic

I have acquired a nice 1916/16 DDO Buffalo in G4, except for a bit of dark green "corrosion" spots on the obverse. I do not think it is PVC residue, and with this coin being what it is, I do not want to attempt spot removal myself and risk damage to the surface. Is it a candidate for conservation, and possible grading by NGC? Thanks.

Our goal in conserving any coin is to help it grade with NGC. Occasionally a coin has irreversible surface detriments and grading with NGC is not possible. When a coin has an irreversible surface conditions, such as improper cleaning or environmental damage when the surfaces have been disturbedour goal is to conserve the coin by removing residues and/or undesirable toning in an attempt to make the coin stable for long term storage and more attractive to the eye.

From your description, I am unable to determine what might be causing the green spots. If it is a residue, we could likely remove that residue and assuming the coin doesn't have any irreversible surface detriments, then have the coin encapsulated by NGC. If the spots are corrosion, then we likely can reduce those spots and take measures to prevent them from becoming worse. Following this stabilization, we could them encapsulate the coin in an NCS Details Grade or Genuine holder to help promote its long-term stability.

For additional information on NCS services, please visit our website at www.NCScoin.com or contact us directly at 866-627-2646.

I do know that NCS can do wonders with Buffalo Nickels! I have sent in several (in fact I have some there now) with flyspecks, spots, ugly toning, and etc., and they came back just beautiful!!! NCS can and does do a surerb job on just about any coin or token that you send in!!!