• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just sent this one in - 1929-S SLQ - NGC says MS64 no FH

15 posts in this topic

This is a pretty cool one and is the FS-401 Obv clashed die variety. Just went into "scheduled for grading" status today on an early bird submission.

Obverse is full mint luster. Reverse looks almost PL due to the heavy die polishing/repairs.

29-S%20obv_zpsnt7xwusx.jpg

29-s%20rev_zpsy39qqtvh.jpg

Hopefully next week I will have a mint error SLQ to post.

I dunno that this coin straight grades. That reverse looks scratched to bits. Obverse has some too.

Die polish/repair as a result of the clash. Above the shoulder was to repair the tailfeather and star clash marks, and the reverse to remove the legs.

29-s%20clashing_zpsa78txdfz.jpg

I dunno that this coin straight grades. That reverse looks scratched to bits. Obverse has some too.

Highly reflective fields will exaggerate contact marks in images. The reverse appears to be at least semi-PL to these eyes. I also think you are seeing die polish lines as well.

Highly reflective fields will exaggerate contact marks in images. The reverse appears to be at least semi-PL to these eyes. I also think you are seeing die polish lines as well.

Looks PL in person too. Everything going on above the eagle is due to die polish lines. I have a feeling they will detract from the grade though. Would be cool to get a * but I'm not holding my breath. For what I'm into it a 63FH woul d be just fine. That hit on the leg is pretty decent, but I'm hoping the blinding mint luster might bump it up to a 64.

My personal opinion is 63FH with a shot at 64FH. I don't know what the variety adds to it, and in looking at the link on NGC for the 29-S it says "There are no NGC varieties for this coin." so I may have just wasted some money. (PCGS has the attribution)

NGC graded it 64, no FH, and apparently I wasted my money sending this in for variety attribution since they don't offer the FS-401. I would have saved a bunch by sending it in with the other 4 plus without the variety and or variety plus. This is only my 3rd submission and 1st with a variety so I'm still a complete noob. On my last one they gave me a pamphlet titled "how to submit coins to NGC"!

Cert lookup link

Still not bad for a Noob.

I deal in varieties, and I thought you might like to know that anytime you are thinking of spending some money to have a variety attributed, you can first go to NGCCOIN.COM under research, then "varietyplus", and you can check the specific coin to make sure they do or do not actually recognize/attribute said variety.

PCGS and NGC do not always recognize the same ones, so you will definately save yourself some money by getting into the habit of checking before you submit, just to be sure..

Thanks for sharing!

The services do like keeping your money and then don't give you the attributions in many cases. Check before sending and always send economy submissions to limit the hit.

Nice coin, glad I was wrong and the "scratches" were die polish marks. I've never seen them run in different directions like that.

That's FH all day... you got the short straw on this one.

While, based on the images, the coin looks to have claims to a full head, I sure wouldn't declare that the submitter got the "short straw' or that the coin is "FH all day".