• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Four Coins - Any thoughts?

13 posts in this topic

I have two Morgan dollars, a Mercury dime, and a Barber dime. I purchased all of them as uncirculated back in the 1980s, but the term "uncirculated" was sometimes thrown around a little loosely back then. The dollars came from a Detroit-area dealer named Ernie Lush. The other two came from smaller local shops. (Read: I probably overpaid badly.)

I basically just want to know the approximate grades and whether they're worth submitting for official grading.

Here are the two Morgan dollars. The little black spot that you see on Liberty's cheek is on the holder, not on the coin. Some of the hairline scratches that you see are also on the cases, but I think people can tell which are which.

Here are the Morgan dollars (both 1880 S):

156201.jpg.c6db6e83bd5e2adc3afd9c5ce3e613c2.jpg

156202.jpg.242e9bb72189ec2c30c0821dc4cb6d71.jpg

156203.jpg.2c52a514e0780058dbeb84966310b2d6.jpg

156204.jpg.2337f21bc5a5fca75fd08f813c909a8e.jpg

Hard to grade from the scans, especially when they are in the holder. 80-S morgans come well made. The 1st looks to be in the 63-64 range and the 2nd in the 64-65 range. The 2nd also appears to have some PVC residue on the reverse.

The dimes look nice but not my series so I won't stab at those.

Thanks! Sorry for my ignorance—what would the source of the PVC residue be? (Anybody?)

Possibly keeping these in holders or plastic flips/sleeves that are not safe for long term storage.

You can buy PVC-FREE plastic flips that are safe for coins.

Both look MS, but it is impossible to ascertain a grade on the barber dime from those scans because of the dark cheek. (not easy on either, mind you.)

Merc is probably a 64-65 FSB.

That morgan with the green gunk on it needs an acetone soak first. May need to coax it off with a q-tip. (not the ones with the plastic handles, use the paper ones.)

The 05 barber dime in 63 can fetch about 200 bucks, so perhaps not a bad plan.

That morgan with the green gunk on it needs an acetone soak first. May need to coax it off with a q-tip. (not the ones with the plastic handles, use the paper ones.)

The 05 barber dime in 63 can fetch about 200 bucks, so perhaps not a bad plan.

I'm not planning to sell the coins, but I sort of figure anything that might be worth over $100 is worth grading for insurance or estate-planning purposes.

It looks like the other three probably aren't worth it, but I might submit them anyway. I think I really got taken to the cleaners on the Mercury dime...not much I can do about it 28 years after the fact, though. I think I paid $300 for it.