• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEWP - Toned 1957 Roosevelt Dime

8 posts in this topic

I went to a coin show with my 9yr old daughter and 5yr old son today. We picked up some nice IHC's to fill some of my daughter's collection, and I picked up some Silver Comms and a couple random things. This toned Roosevelt was one of those randoms. I just love the toning on this one and thought I'd share it with you guys. If you like color then you'll love this puppy! It's graded and slabbed by NGC currently.

5pxljaEmQW6LCDduRSK4_1957%20Roosevelt%20Dime%20-%20white.jpg

Nice. For some reason, there's a lot of blue and purple toning to be found on 1956 through 1958 Roosevelts. I'm sure someone has a theory as to why.

Here's a raw '57-P I have:

photo%203_zpskyzjcs1w.jpg

And a '58-P NGC MS 66 with some orange, blue, and purple:

GetImage.aspx_zpsibpg0rvn.jpeg

Nice. For some reason, there's a lot of blue and purple toning to be found on 1956 through 1958 Roosevelts. I'm sure someone has a theory as to why.

The color is also common on quarters and half dollars of the era. And usually when I see it, it looks like mint set toning. So, my hypothesis is that it is the cardboard cut-outs that came with mint sets from the period. Interestingly, I usually see these colors/shades on the sets issued from 1956, 1957, and 1958 more so than previous years. Does anyone know if a new supplier was used for the packaging materials in these years or if the packaging changed even if only subtly from previous years?

This Rossie was from a mint set according to the Dealer that I purchased this from. I sat and talked to him a awhile about toning. His thoughts seem to be very much inline with yours coinman.

In 1955 through 1958 different papers were used to wrap the cardboards of the sets from the mint (earlier as well actually) and it's thought that these wrappers imparted the colors which varied from year to year.

The earlier sets rarely demonstrated the same color characteristics.

In all cases the coins themselves probably had a role in "accepting" the tarnish the conditions offered.

This is my understanding.

I'm partial to the 1957 Year Set as it's my birth year. :)

That dime is a nice one but pretty close to terminal toning.

Enjoy

(thumbs u

57 and 58 are the highlights for mint set toning. In 59, they changed over to a plastic packaging, so mint set toning ceased to exist.

As for yours, I think it is probably attractive but the pictures are dark. I see hints of green and red, but it is difficult to see. Try getting more light on there, to catch the rainbows.

Here is one of my mint set toned coins (this is a 58, pictures by Shane):

Consignments85366.jpg

It looks like it would really pop in hand. The obverse rim toning, especially at the 3 o'clock range appears to be stunning.