• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can I do anything about an artificially toned coin?

2 posts in this topic

I have an 1855-O seated liberty half dollar that appears to be artificially toned. I want to get it graded, but want to know if I can do something about the artificial toning so I won't get it back without a grade. Can it be cleaned? If so how do I do it?

I am frustrated by having this happen to me...

The services of Numismatic Conservation Services, NCS, may be the best way to go with your coin. Whenever you have a coin that you may feel has a potential problem that would cause it to not grade with NGC, NCS submission may be a benefit.

There are a couple of primary issues you describe in your situation. Both the conservation of the piece and its apparent artificial toning need to be addressed.

First, I can not recommend conserving a coin yourself. All too often NCS will receive submissions of coins collectors have attempted themselves to conserve using improper means. The results are often devastating with coins showing irreversible damage and thus diminished value. I would hate to see that happen to your coin.

Second, we usually can remove artificial toning using professional conservation methods at NCS. There is, however, a frequent problem with coins that are seen to have artificial toning. Oftentimes a coin is toned artificially in order to hide an underlying problem. These problems are typically improper cleanings marked by excessive hairlines, spot removals, scratches, or whizzing. All of these secondary problems are in the surface of the coins and as a result are irreversible with conservation methods while toning and residues can often be reversed through conservation.

Keeping those issues in mind, you do have some options. With NCS submission, your coin will be evaluated to see if conservation is beneficial. If it is determined that either removal of the artificial toning would be detrimental to the appearance and long-term storage of your coin or the toning is original and enhancing to the piece, you will only be charged a nominal evaluation fee. If conservation is determined to be beneficial, your piece will be conserved and the artificial toning will be removed. Then regardless of any conservation work that may or may not have been performed, if your coin is determined to be problem free--free of any of those issues such as improper cleaning or damage--it will be forwarded on your behalf to NGC for certification. If your coin does have irreversible damage, we could then encapsulate your coin in an NCS Details Grade or Genuine Only holder. With submission to NCS you have the benefit of having the best possible outcome for your coin.

For more information on NCS services, visit our website at www.ncscoin.com or contact customer service at 866-627-2646.

Chris, NCS Conservator-Customer Service