• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1859 Seated Half - GTG

16 posts in this topic

Hello, New here.

Sent in this 1859 Seated Half, What do you think it will grade?

1859half.jpg

Click to enlarge

1859half1.jpg

Sorry about photo's, they were some quick photo's I took before submitting.

Thanks,

Jeremiah

It's impossible to grade coins from angle like that. You need to do a "straignt on" shot to get a grade estimate.

There is a reason why those who sell counterfiets post blury pictures and pictures from odd angles. It's to hide something. I'm not saying your coin is counterfeit; it's probably genuine. BUT you can't guess the grade from that photo.

Bill,

Thanks for the info, the only other pic I had was when it was in a 2x2.

Don't know if it will do any good. Otherwise I'll wait to take better pic when it comes back in its slab.

-Jeremiah

1859half22.jpg

1859half33.jpg

I agree.

I think that it is a really nice coin. It's not strictly Mint State, but it's the type of piece that will sell for low end Mint State money whether or not it's in an AU-58 or MS-62 holder.

I agree.

I think that it is a really nice coin. It's not strictly Mint State, but it's the type of piece that will sell for low end Mint State money whether or not it's in an AU-58 or MS-62 holder.

+1

More than likely it will wind up in a Au 58 holder .

Got the email it was shipped... Naturally, (like it was Christmas morning) with eager anticipation I quickly logged in to see what it GRADED!

Got the dreaded "AU Details" grade ... so sad. (shrug)

Like Mr. Hefner recently said "I guess, as the old saying goes: You can’t win 'em all!"

Thanks everyone for your reply's,

-Jeremiah

Got the email it was shipped... Naturally, (like it was Christmas morning) with eager anticipation I quickly logged in to see what it GRADED!

Got the dreaded "AU Details" grade ... so sad. (shrug)

Like Mr. Hefner recently said "I guess, as the old saying goes: You can’t win 'em all!"

Thanks everyone for your reply's,

-Jeremiah

That is unfortunate – it is a pretty coin and that peripheral toning has good eye appeal.

You got the details grade because of a cleaning.

It would be interesting to know what is wrong with it.

What else would it be besides a cleaning ?? Cannot tell this from the photos but everything else on the coin looks good.

What else would it be besides a cleaning ?? Cannot tell this from the photos but everything else on the coin looks good.

When I saw the first image, I wondered whether the color was "natural". My guess is that the details grade was due to color and not cleaning.

When I saw the first image, I wondered whether the color was "natural". My guess is that the details grade was due to color and not cleaning.

When I said cleaning I meant unnatural tone caused by a prior cleaning.

Post Office just dropped off my package early, wasn't expecting it until Monday.

It did come back with "Improperly Cleaned" attached with AU Details Grade, as Mark T assumed.

Looking at it with my naked eye I didn't see it as cleaned, but after taking these pics. I'm noticing there is some marks in the fields, maybe that's what they are commenting on with "cleaned" like maybe it was wiped.

Here are some pics for you to judge.?.

It still does has nice eye appeal..

156177.jpg.7fe93ca19c48006b0b694923def6ba6f.jpg

156178.jpg.fd662d317e669b57f0d177ecc7a9699b.jpg

156179.jpg.b96c97907cef471cc0e7305fe9792453.jpg