• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade me - 1936 Walking Liberty Half

33 posts in this topic

Can anybody suggest a light?

Some people prefer an incandescent light with a 75 watt bulb. Others might prefer 100, or 60 watts.

Some people like to use halogen lights, which can sometimes enable you to see hairlines, wipes, etc., that would be more difficult (or nearly impossible) to detect with an incandescent light. But halogens can also drown out color on toned coins.

I know some graders who prefer to use both an incandescent light and a halogen light.

Some people like to use tensor lamps. And so on.

I believe that consistent lighting conditions (and the comfort of the viewer with the light of his choice) are more important than the specific type of light. And you want to make sure that the light you use is not compromised by other light sources from above, through windows, etc.

After my initial examination of a coin, I use a magnifier (4X) to see if there is anything I have missed. So it sounds like we are all on the same page here.

Thanks for the clarification.