• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first buffalo - grade it! Yes it is a 1938-D

4 posts in this topic

I have always liked buffaloes, but never actually bought one until a week ago. Saw this in a coin shop while I was on vacation and bought it. Probably overpaid but it looked really nice. I struggled to find a mark on the obverse under 7x, and there are a few well hidden ones in the body of the buff itself and a small one on the mound. Not sure if I'll send it in or not since these are cheap all the way up to 67. I've looked at pics of buffaloes posted on the board ATS and I can't grade these for the life of me.

38-D%20obv1_zpsfidof6x9.jpg

38-D%20obv2_zps81vn9afh.jpg52F59D54-B119-4DB6-9F24-00B7FBE79726_zpsxbov9tzh.jpg

I'll give you my opinion from the provided photos. I can't see any luster disturbances or tiny hairlines in areas that I would look for wear. I would give it a grade of MS 64. If there's some disturbance that can be seen when in hand, then I would grade it AU 58.

Nice looking Buffalo btw!

I'd guess it to be a 65 or 66 (unless the light discoloration/haze on the Indian's cheek and lower hair areas are worse in person and/or hiding something), but not worth the cost of grading.