• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roll Of 1957-D Lincoln Cents

14 posts in this topic

Thanks all.

:)

I did purchase the roll planning to open it. When I do, I'll post some pictures.

That patent number is very interesting. Most Auto Coinwrapping Machine Corp rolls go back to the Batdorf patent. This one is much later (filed 1937, granted 1941) and the machine used shows a different wrapping characteristic than your typical roll. It could be that there are very few such rolls in existence, making the intact roll very useful for study of its characteristics. For instance, both ends have a very smooth and rounded crimp. The roll was clearly pre-wrapped on one end (the right end in top pic, which shows where the pre-wrapped tube was held during filling and crimping the other end) and then filled and crimped. The final crimp gave a twist to the paper, and the crimping tool hit the coin, causing the circular scratches. I am not sure I've seen a similar example before in the thousands of rolls I've searched!

So my perspective is to keep the roll intact, but at least you did a good job of photo-documenting it in case you end up opening it.

Ray

Judging by the fact that there are semi-circular machine marks on both coins visible, I'd hesitate to open the roll. If both ends show marks, it is plausible that many of the coins inside will show similar marks.

Could be possible physics-fan3.14.

It is very tuff to get a 67 for this year and grade. Both the P and D mint cois are limited in the 67 grade.

Those marks are presumably caused by the crimping process. Why would that have any correlation to the coins inside?

The OBW roll definitely carries a premium but it's very cool to open one and see 50 shiny red cents over 50 years old. It's like being transported back in time. I had a roll of 1954 and a roll of 1955-S cents that I opened. I'd say go for it! 67s are hard to come by though.