• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First NEWP post on this board. 1929-S SLQ FS-401 Obv die clash

5 posts in this topic

I have been a member of the boards ATS for quite some time and only recently joined here. So it may look familiar! I joined the NGC CS and figured why not waste their bandwidth too.

I got this today and what a beauty, and it is my first one with a mintmark. It came in an antique yellow cardboard-bordered holder which is actually 3 layers. The price says 7.50. I wonder when UNC 29-S SLQs were worth 7.50? (I gave several multiples of that for the coin.) Anyway, feel free to wager a grade, as this will be going in next. Looks close to FH (to me) but no cigar.

Lots of clashing on this one, you can see most of "E PLVURIBUS" through the skirt, and a big M below it from "'merica".. Oh and that whispy line on the RH side of the coin by the stars is a hair, but it was by far the best photo. I took her to Supercuts and we got it all sorted out.

Reverse die has had expansive polish/repairs made and is nearly PL. You can see where they scrubbed it everywhere, particularly above the eagle and liberty's shoulder.

29-s%20obv2_zpsrwi0q4yc.jpg

29-s%20rev_zpsy39qqtvh.jpg

Interesting. I have never seen a fully PL SLQ, but the reverse on that one comes pretty close.

It is neat and also strange that the reverse is so much different than the obverse. That reverse die must have had a ton of work done.

I just sent this one in on an early bird submission, it is in scheduled to be graded status today 29-s%20clashing_zpsa78txdfz.jpg .

I made a little collage to show how the clash transfer was done. You can see why they worked that die over her shoulder too.