• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spoof mail from "eBay" - can't they at least get it right?

10 posts in this topic

Like most of you, I get spoof email with eBay's name on it telling me that I have to update my account because it's about to expire, etc., etc. I expand the header and send it along to eBay Security Reporting with the vain hope that it will help them track down the source.

But don't you think these spoofers should get a clue when their own eamils are out of date? Have a look at this one that I got today (and I did not add the bold - they put it there): 27_laughing.gif

"We recently have determined that different computers have logged onto your eBay account, and multiple password failures were present before the logons. We now need you to re-confirm your account information to us. If this is not completed by December 24, 2004, we will be forced to suspend your account indefinitely, as it may have been used for fraudulent purposes. We thank you for your cooperation in this manner."

tongue.gif Hoot

Was it P. T. Barnum who said, "There's a sucker born every minute!" ?

I received one of those, too.

There is another scam that has surfaced recently that goes something like this:

You receive a call purportedly from your credit card company. It even shows as that firm on your Caller ID. The caller identifies himself as an employee in Security and even gives you his Employee ID #. He goes on to explain that someone is attempting to make a purchase on your account in excess of $500. (NOTE: This amount generally triggers an automatic inquiry.) He doesn't ask for any personal information, but instructs you to call the 800 number for the credit card company's Security Office. When you call, you are greeted by a voice welcoming you to "Citibank" (for example) and a menu to report stolen cards or unauthorized purchases.

Within minutes of giving them your credit card #, a purchase is transacted for an amount just under the $500 threshhold.

Do you really think eBay cares? It's not their responsibility to babysit P. T. Barnum's favorite customers.

Chris

I'm astounded that enough people fall for this nonsense to make it worthwhile for these scammers. I get so much of that junk that as soon as I see "ebay" or "paypal" or "account" in the title of any thread, I trash it.

Honestly, wouldn't it be easier for scammers just to get normal jobs screwy.gif ?

James

I got an ID theft attempt using "Citibank" Platinum Mastercard that was really clever. The scam artists sent me an email graphic using an identical copy of Citibank's site cover page. The scammers asked me to sign in to my account and verify my M/C number and PIN because someone posing as me had supposedly used my card.

I called Citibank and, of course, the bank said that it was a scam, albet a clever one. Some of these folks are very creative.

Do you really think eBay cares? It's not their responsibility to babysit P. T. Barnum's favorite customers.

What they say is that they use the expanded header information to track down the source and shut down the account. Beats the heck out of me if it works or not. I'm sure the spoofers just move on to another account and/or a different machine to send from.

I seem to get these in waves. I'll get a steady trickle, but all of the sudden, I get 10 in a day for a couple of days in a row.

Honestly, wouldn't it be easier for scammers just to get normal jobs screwy.gif ?

27_laughing.gif

Some people just don't appear to be happy unless they're "getting away" with something. tonofbricks.gif

Hoot

There was an aritle on phishing on MSNBC a few months back. The percent of people who fall for these was really high. I'd have hoped that very few people fell for this stuff, but it was something like a 10% respose rate to phishing emails asking for eBay passwords. The scammers send thousands of emails at a time, so they get hundreds of working passwords to run scams.

A lot of stupid people out there.