• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uh...me likey.

11 posts in this topic

This is a GREAT coin....especially for you upper-grade Buff collectors...who'll remain nameless <*cough*>Whilborg<*cough*>

3-legger

jom

PS: Who was it who said nice coins aren't found in NGC holders? grin.gif

WOW!!! What a GREAT looking 3-legger! It does seem that a preponderance of 3-legged buffs come with great color and fairly good luster (weak strike I reckon). That one is very pretty.

Hoot

That price seems very reasonable to me, too. I watched the 3-legger in the Ivey-Selkirk auction, graded AU-55 (NGC), sell for $3600 + 15% = $4150. Your looking at an UNC for basically one more bill.

James

That price seems very reasonable to me, too. I watched the 3-legger in the Ivey-Selkirk auction, graded AU-55 (NGC), sell for $3600 + 15% = $4150. Your looking at an UNC for basically one more bill.

That's probably because the date/designation is a "classic" rarity (ie date rarity like the 26-S). As opposed to some coin that are grade rarities that go up in price exponentially.

BTW, I like your term "bill". I think I can use that. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

jom: "Honey, I'm going to buy a coin today"

jom's wifey: "How much are you going to spend this time?" mad.gif

jom: "Uh...only 5 bills"

jom's wifey: "Oh...OK. Have fun!" laugh.gif

jom devil.gif

That is a nice looking 3-legger.

I sold one last year that was also graded NGC MS63.

It had nice color but not as nice as this one.

The money that I got compared to this coin,I may have sold it too early.

-------------

etexmike

(((jom: "Honey, I'm going to buy a coin today"

jom's wifey: "How much are you going to spend this time?"

jom: "Uh...only 5 bills"

jom's wifey: "Oh...OK. Have fun!"))) 27_laughing.gifthumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Here's some coin dealer jargon for you that I've learned on the other side of the table:

"It'll cost you three bills" = "$300"

"It'll cost you three big bills" = "$3000"

"I need to make a couple bucks" = "my price is ridiculous"

(The first two are for real!)

James

JomMy concern would be the areas I have circled. Are they fully struck? The horn looks full and round but it's possible those areas are typically struck the way they look. I don't really know as I haven't done a lot of searching with this series.

Image Hosting by Vendio

Smart Services for Smart Sellers

Get simple, reliable, and affordable image hosting with Vendio today!

Leo

The person to ask is actually Hoot. He's the strike fiend. 893whatthe.gif But I can say it looks pretty well struck although there might be some die weakness in places. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

jom

Howdy Leo - The places you point out are tell-tale for an authentic 3-legged buffalo. ALL coins were struck from fatigued dies and the places you circled are part of the diagnostic. Also, on the neck of the Indian in front of the braid, there is deterioration that's evident. On the reverse, there's deterioration everywhere. However, the rear-most leg of the bison should look almost corroded, some have said "moth eaten." Also, there were pits (perhaps accidental tool marks) in the die below the bison's belly that gives the appearance of the "trickle trail" from the bison's unit to the ground in a nice semi-circular arc.

The coin jom pointed out is a relatively early die state specimen for the 3-legged variety. They get much worse - much more deterioration in the hair of the Indian and on his neck, and the bison can be quite mushy with only the vestiges of a rear-most leg.

I'd love to own that coin. It's a real gemmy piece.

Hoot

That’s a nice coin, but you guy’s should have seen the 3 legged buff that I saw at the last White Plains show a month or so ago. It was in an NGC holder graded MS-64 and had the nicest rainbow toning I have ever seen on a 3 legger! cloud9.gif

It also was a fairly early die state coin so its details were very nice. The only distraction was a decent sized scratch between the rim and the Indian’s face on the obverse that could only be seen with a 7x loupe.

John