• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what's with the new "PLxx" grade designation of NGC?

6 posts in this topic

Why not the old "MSxx PL"? Can't say I dislike it, but it seems different in a funny way...

2750226-097.jpg

(Great coin, there, Greg! blush.gif)

Hoot

Hi, with coins that are made in Canada there are different types of manufacture. PL refers to coins that are made proof like, not a mint state coin that is proof like or PL like in United States coins. If the coin was made for general circulation it would say MS, however that coin was made for a Proof Like set that was specially made, they different from normal circulation strike coins because they have proof like surfaces and can come cameo or ultra-cameo. Canada coins also come SP or Specimen, PF or Proof, MS or general circulation strikes. We will label the coin what it is and in this coins case it is PL.

(Great coin, there, Greg! blush.gif)

If you think this in nice, wait until you see the 1967's I have that are jet black & white cameos. Picked up a handful of them from a local dealer. Beautiful coins. cloud9.gif

Thanks Jay! Great explanation! Sounds sort of like our 1965-67 SMS coins. confused-smiley-013.gif

Greg - when you have the pics done of the others you mention, put 'em up!

Hoot

Greg - when you have the pics done of the others you mention, put 'em up!

They're waiting to go in to NGC, so when they arrive back I'll take some pictures.