• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

submitting coins to NGC for first time.

17 posts in this topic

Decided to send in 5 coins to NGC today. Two of them are 1909S Indian cents that are approximately G6 and VG10 to F-12 in grade. Next coin was an 1889 CC dollar which is around F-12 to 15 grade. These coins have never been graded. The other 2 coins were cracked out of NGC slabs. MS64 Feutchwanger cent and MS 61 Woods Hibernia half penny. I was given the cracked slab for the cent when I bought it recently. Asking them to beholder if possible. The half penny I do not have the slab but do have the cert #. There are a couple marks on the coin that identify that it is indeed the right coin. NGC also has images tied to the coin. I asked for a beholder on this coin too. Any chance they will do this? Also do you think it was a good idea to slab the never graded coins since they are key dates and often counterfeited? Thanks Jerry

Well, you can't unring a bell.

The 3 coins that were not slabbed previously are not of such great value that you'll gain anything but credibility for the coins when holdered. The reholder of the penny should be a slam dunk if it's still in the holder. The half cent they will regrade if it's already removed from it's holder since there's no evidence it's not been altered out of it's slab.

I think NGC will be giving you a call because the reholder was suppose to go on a second form. They'll want their $8 handling fee at minimum however, a simple reholder only costs $5 (unless that service went up in price too).

The 3 coins that were not slabbed previously are not of such great value that you'll gain anything but credibility for the coins when holdered.

With the Chinese ready to copy just about any U.S. coin there is, including many that were never made in the first place, "credibility" is a very important thing for key date coins like a 1909-S Indian Cent or an 1889-CC dollar.

The 3 coins that were not slabbed previously are not of such great value that you'll gain anything but credibility for the coins when holdered.

With the Chinese ready to copy just about any U.S. coin there is, including many that were never made in the first place, "credibility" is a very important thing for key date coins like a 1909-S Indian Cent or an 1889-CC dollar.

Hmm...It seems like we have a problem with that domestically as well.

Don't blame China for everything. I came across this website yesterday

If you look at their website they say their coin replicas have copy stamped on them. The Chinese fakes I have seen do not.

Doug

Well, at least they put "COPY" on their fakes unlike someone else.

Chris

Chris

Not all of them. Domestic crooks have been gluing little "S" mint marks on 1909 cents of both types for many years. And crooks have been making not quite as many 1889-CC silver dollars. The trouble is the Chinese are now the leading counterfeiters of U.S. coinage in the world, and they are willing "to serve" all areas of the U.S. coin market, from worn, common date "silver dollars" (really steel) for the flea markets to the more sophisticated collector market.

There is near zero chance they will *re*holder, whether you sent them the plastic or not. There's just no way to be sure it hasn't been altered. Once it's out, it's out and treated as fresh submission (raw).

If you sent in the old slab or label they should give you the $0.50 credit.

Don't blame China for everything. I came across this website yesterday:

http://coinsofourpast.com/

I checked the web site. The company you reference states that they mark their replicas as "copies".

Any info otherwise that the company is making "replicas" that are not clearly marked as copies?

I understand that any company engaging in the counterfeiting/replicating of rare coins may not be fully truthful about their products. If their coin products are clearly marked as copies then they are certainly not to be grouped into the Chinese copy problem.

Just saying.

Carl

Thanks to Bill Jones for his sound advice. I too think credibility is crucial when buying or selling key date coins. Lots of people on here have stated they would not touch a raw key date coin and want to buy slabbed. The coins I listed are not sub $200 dollar value pieces that would not make sense to grade. Nutmeg I guess you have never done a typo right? Your input was not humorous or helpful.

Chris

Not all of them. Domestic crooks have been gluing little "S" mint marks on 1909 cents of both types for many years. And crooks have been making not quite as many 1889-CC silver dollars. The trouble is the Chinese are now the leading counterfeiters of U.S. coinage in the world, and they are willing "to serve" all areas of the U.S. coin market, from worn, common date "silver dollars" (really steel) for the flea markets to the more sophisticated collector market.

Bill, I was referring to the link that David Lange posted.

Chris

got the grading results today. VG10 and F12 for Indian cents. VF25 for Morgan, 64 for feutchwanger cent and the Woods Hibernia upgraded from MS61 to 63. Now does it look like a good plan to have them graded?