• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Found these coins in the loft.

5 posts in this topic

Hello, I found these in the loft a few weeks back. One is dated 1902, with a few more around the same year, but most are much later. I'm just wondering if they're collectible at all?

I'd appreciate if one or two of you experienced collectors could share your thoughts on them.

Sorry for the bad photo, I'll take more if need be.

Cheers, Dan

SDC17686_zps6yhzla65.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Everything there is certainly collectable, but I see no silver and nothing rare, so their values will be fairly low, with the possible exception of the Festival of Britain Crown (the one with St. George slaying the dragon). That's a popular piece.

Certainly they are collectble, they just aren't of more than modest value. A coin doesn't have to be "valuable" to be collectible.

Thanks for your input guys.

I've just bought 3 fine silver £20 coins 'A timeless first' with the same saint George and the dragon scene, it's stunning! 'Outbreak' commemorating WWI and 'Sir Winston Churchill' which hasn't arrived yet.

The first £20 coins ever to be made I believe. These along with my old find can be the start of a new collection which I'm greatly looking forward to.

Could anyone recommend me a good first book to purchase for a beginner collector of coins?