• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Roosevelt Dimes

4 posts in this topic

I decided to begin the silver Roosevelt dime registry set. I do not know anything about the Roosevelts except that they are more affordable than the mercury dimes. I have noticed that they seem to have more toning present than the mercury dimes that are available.

I decided to target MS67+, MS67 FT or starred/plus MS66FT and only have 6 at the moment.

I started with Mercury dimes 8 months ago and my questions/thoughts are this... I presume the toned mercs are in the hands of people that want to keep them, and that is why I do not see them available as much in comparison to roosevelt. They are older so should statistically speaking have more time to gain toning and therefore more abundant? Balanced with production that was lower, so fewer examples exist that demonstrate the toning?

Lastly, what, if anything, should I know before I jump to roosies

Definitely get in touch with Lablover on this forum. He is selling his set (all 67* or better) and has duplicates beyond that as well.

The availability of nicely toned coins does not directly correspond to age. It also matters how the coins were prepared and stored over the years.

Fortunately, Roosie prices have come down a lot in the last few years. 66 and up coins with nice toning are readily available on eBay.

Good luck!

Even though they are not as old as Mercury dimes, as a group, Roosevelt dimes were perhaps more likely to acquire toning, due to their storage in mint set packaging.