• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Remote Transactions Parity Act

5 posts in this topic

Ebay has created a convenient way for all to let their elected officials know that they strongly disagree with the proposed "Remote Transaction Parity Act," another attempt to require very cumbersome and expensive tax collecting by internet sellers. Even if you are not an ebay member you can use their link to send a strong message to your officials.

I have mixed feelings on this one. For one, I like my 7% no tax discount when buying from stores out of state on line. The tax rule should be simple though. The taxes are paid to the state the business runs out of, or just to the Feds.

On line out of state tax ememptions do create an unlevel playing field though. First, if I buy toys from Miniature Market online I get charged tax as they are in my state. So I go to 12-7 games in Illinois and get a 7% discount.

Second, I work for a real retail business. People who come in pay sales tax. Bob's bedding who drop ships memory foam from China out of a laptop in his Grandma's basement's apartment has a 7% advantage on the same items! Go figure. Too bad you have to come to my store and waste my time trying the goods out there to see which one you should buy from Bob. Or you buy an imported mattress sight unseen and hope for the best.

Third, I support military pensions, my State's National Guard, our subsidized community colleges for those wanting to better themselves and overtime pay for the police.

Either way, everyone charges it or no one is my desire. Everyone and we keep our river levees and cruise missiles. No one and I have more money in my pocket.

I have mixed feelings on this one. For one, I like my 7% no tax discount when buying from stores out of state on line. The tax rule should be simple though. The taxes are paid to the state the business runs out of, or just to the Feds.

On line out of state tax ememptions do create an unlevel playing field though. First, if I buy toys from Miniature Market online I get charged tax as they are in my state. So I go to 12-7 games in Illinois and get a 7% discount.

Second, I work for a real retail business. People who come in pay sales tax. Bob's bedding who drop ships memory foam from China out of a laptop in his Grandma's basement's apartment has a 7% advantage on the same items! Go figure. Too bad you have to come to my store and waste my time trying the goods out there to see which one you should buy from Bob. Or you buy an imported mattress sight unseen and hope for the best.

Third, I support military pensions, my State's National Guard, our subsidized community colleges for those wanting to better themselves and overtime pay for the police.

Either way, everyone charges it or no one is my desire. Everyone and we keep our river levees and cruise missiles. No one and I have more money in my pocket.

1. Internet sales are currently subject to state sales tax. Most, if not all states, require the buyer of an out of state item, to report it to their home state and pay home state sales taxes on the purchase. Their inability or unwillingness to enforce current laws should not be cause to require businesses, at great time and expense for on-line sellers (there are over 9000 tax jurisdictions to be concerned with), to do it for them. The proposal is not as simple as it is for retail storefronts who only have to be concerned with tax collecting and reporting for just the jurisdiction they reside in.

2. This issue should also be of concern to consumers as enforcement of the new proposal, because of the time and great expense to comply with thousands of tax jurisdictions, will shut down very much of on-line selling. Currently on-line availability keeps prices in check at retail storefronts. This is why the store front community strongly supports this proposal. Consumers will pay more as competition is removed from the market place. The strong lobbying effort of retail businesses behind this proposal needs to be countered by consumers as well as on-line sellers..

We agree in that having to comply with 50 much less thousands of tax jurisdictions is a hassle and I believe unrealistic for small businesses.

Do you have any information on how much "use tax" has been collected anywhere? What states are good at collecting it? Think that law is just there for when WI decides to subpoena ebay's shioments to their state and go after folks? Doesn't seem very effectively enforced. Either way us tax cheats need to start laying our fair share then and this is a non issue if governments would just enforce their use tax. I couldn't find much info on Missouri quickly. What state are you in?