• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade Opinion Wanted 1883 Morgan

7 posts in this topic

I purchased this 1883 DPL coin with the intention of cracking out, but I am getting cold feet once I looked at the coin in hand. The coin is in a holder dated 1997 to 2000. There is a big dollar jump to the next grade.

155934.jpg.501854da37f676444be56825be1035a6.jpg

155935.jpg.64ac0c62ded0bc0ac719df8f156afcc7.jpg

I would grade thus coin as an MS64, cameo. Because of the big scratch under Ms. Liberty's eye, I can't see this coin grading any higher. If you get some bad luck, you could get this coin back in a "details" holder. If its grade MS-64, cameo, it can't grade any higher.

I don't grade Morgan's so take my opinion with a grain of salt. But given general grading experience and using ANA standards, I would grade this at MS65PL. I think there's a higher likely hood that it will grade MS64PL than 65 though. With that said, I believe it definitely has a shot at 65. What I don't think it has a shot at is DPL. This is just my opinion and shouldn't carry much weight. But I wanted to offer up my thoughts to contribute to your thread and question.

Some very similar technical examples that I was able to pull up in only a couple minutes of seaching:

http://www.stacksbowers.com/BrowseAuctions/LotArchive.aspx?AuctionID=6065&Lot=7176

http://coins.ha.com/itm/morgan-dollars/1883-1-ms65-deep-mirror-prooflike-pcgs/a/1152-3919.s?type=NGC1152

http://coins.ha.com/itm/morgan-dollars/1883-1-ms65-prooflike-ngc-ngc-census-38-1-pcgs-population-55-3-numismedia-wsl-price-for-problem-free-ngc-pcgs-co/a/131304-20399.s?type=NGC131304

Be very careful when cracking PL and DPL /DMPL NGC and PCGS older holders. The standards have tightened significantly between the two. Some of those DPL/DMPL designated piece downgrade to PL on review and some of the PLs don't designate at all on resubmission. Based on the images, there is no way I would offer an opinion on the depth of the mirrors to tell you. If you crack it, be sure to have someone look at it that is very familiar with these.

You don't state what grade or holder it's in currently so it's left up to us to make a determination of what it is based upon the pictures.

I agree with Bill Jones that the scratch under the eye is troublesome however, if it's just an abrasion in the cameo and isn't deep (I mean deep at all) then it "might" get MS 65.

I think the DPL is a slam dunk on this coin based upon the pictures. Obtaining DMPL for this coin is strictly contingent upon the mirrors. In the picture they look black, but they need to be highly reflective.

In any event, it's an outstanding Morgan Dollar IMO.

Bill, you are correct the coin is MS 64 DMPL. The scratch below the eye is not deep, but I respect your opinion on grading that the coin will not grade higher.

Beast, thanks for the comparative photos.

Mark, Coinman, Raise, I am not going to crack out the coin as the mirrors are on the fence between DMPL and PL and as Bill notes the scratch could be an issue. It is an attractive coin with nice eye appeal and I am going to enjoy the coin in the current NCG holder.

Thanks for the information and opinions.