• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morgan 1895-O rim marks question

6 posts in this topic

This 1895-O Morgan is certainly not pretty but what piques my interest is just what kind of rim damage it has. If you view it under magnification most of the marks do not seem to be ordinary random damage. Perhaps some are from metal chips in the minting process?

The face-on views were made on a flatbed scanner. The side views were taken with a PS camera and software adjusted for color, brightness and contrast to bring out detail in the marks. What would TPG take on the marks be and is the coin it even gradable?

tqXREY

ttnMrH

ttnVpg

tbR8na

tbR8in

Try following this link, it's a safe link. The rim damage is most likely post mint damage and makes the coin worth melt, probably $13.

Morgan 1895-O obverse

If the link is to the coin in question, the rim marks are post mint and therefore would lower the grade considerably. This is 1895-O dollar, however, and with VG graded examples on the Gray Sheet at $250, this coin is worth more than the melt value as a filler at worst. I think that it's worth $100 or so, but you would have to find a dealer who sells problem coins to as a buyer.

Bill thanks for correcting me, I was only looking at the coin and not the date/mint combination. You are absolutely correct, this is a better date and even with damage will demand a premium.