• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADE POSTED -- PCGS graded 1899 Indian Head Cent

22 posts in this topic

I don't buy a lot of USA coinage anymore, but I thought this one was quite nice. It's in a newer PCGS holder with the shifting DOW hologram. What do you think they graded it?

PCGS MS65BN

1899_IHC_PCGS_GTG_composite_zpsdvasxtyr.jpg

My grade: UNC, Altered Color.

I see absolutely no signs of altered color. Care to explain what you are seeing?

I have seen dozens if not hundreds of IHCs that tone with these colors. Not sure what you're seeing...looks like pretty tame "envelope" toning, or more likely some sort of woven fabric bag, as you can see the pattern of toning "freckles" on both obverse and reverse.

I guess my images must really suck based on the guesses so far. (shrug)

My grade: UNC, Altered Color.

I see absolutely no signs of altered color. Care to explain what you are seeing?

I have seen dozens if not hundreds of IHCs that tone with these colors. Not sure what you're seeing...looks like pretty tame "envelope" toning, or more likely some sort of woven fabric bag, as you can see the pattern of toning "freckles" on both obverse and reverse.

I guess my images must really suck based on the guesses so far. (shrug)

Sometimes coins that are treated with MS70 will appear with similar colors. I think that is what he is getting at. Of course, the underlying chemistry is still far from clear and some coins turn this color and others don't. Someone needs to conduct a thorough scientific investigation on the subject matter.

BRG - any time I see copper with those blue/purple colors, I immediately think MS-70. And yes, you've probably seen hundreds of them because the look was immensely popular for a while. I'm guessing many, many coins have been so treated.

I hope for your sake that I'm wrong, and that you have a genuine, naturally toned, blue piece of copper. I just strongly doubt it.

BRG - any time I see copper with those blue/purple colors, I immediately think MS-70. And yes, you've probably seen hundreds of them because the look was immensely popular for a while. I'm guessing many, many coins have been so treated.

I hope for your sake that I'm wrong, and that you have a genuine, naturally toned, blue piece of copper. I just strongly doubt it.

Jason, I knew what you were going to say, I just wanted to see you type it out. :grin:

Your opinion of copper with any blue coloring seems to be painted with one big brush of "it must be MS70ed"...

My personal opinions are closer to those of people like Rick Snow.

Some blue copper may be MS70ed, and some MS70ed copper may be blue -- but they are not one and the same thing.

I would grade this coin MS 64 BN in my collection because I believe the strike should be stronger for a 65 number and It doesn't have enough red for a RB attribution.

My guess is PCGS graded it MS 65 BN. I would not argue this grade if it came in that high. I also don't see an evidence that this is altered color. Nothing unusual in the toning color/pattern to suggest altered to me.

No matter what... Fantastic looking IHC! I would give my first born for one of these, lol.

I feel it's in a 65BN holder but the coin had most likely been treated with MS70. And why wouldn't Rick Snow have that opinion? If he sells a blue toned copper piece I'm sure that he feels that it was not treated by MS70, there would be no profit on blue coins the other way around. I'm sure that there are some blue toned IHC's that didn't come from MS70, I just know that a lot did.

I think it's a rare thing to see an MS 65 coin that is Brown. This one is clean enough to be MS 65 BN but I'm guessing MS 64 BN.

I would grade this coin MS 64 BN in my collection because I believe the strike should be stronger for a 65 number and It doesn't have enough red for a RB attribution.

I disagree. I do not think the strike precludes a grade of MS65.

I disagree. I do not think the strike precludes a grade of MS65.

I'm okay with that. I just personally won't pay the premium for a 65 unless it has a stronger/superior strike. I guess that's what I was saying, but not doing a good job of explaining in my previous post.

I think that PCGS could very possibly have graded this coin a 65, and that wouldn't bother me a bit.

It's a beautiful IHC.

I appreciate all of the guesses and discussion. This is my new type coin for the IHC. I sold off my other 3 IHCs and found this one that I liked better.

1899_IHC_PCGS_MS65BN_composite_zpsbbtbbkmc.jpg

Nice pick up , it is a beautiful coin. I also have a vividly colored IHC. This one is NGC MS65 RD.

My coin probably belongs in a RB holder .

155478.jpg.f12a7acfd02fca5341c234200aedfc22.jpg