• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for opinions on an 1865 III cent nickel. Thanks

9 posts in this topic

Too little mint luster (no original mint luster) and too much wear to be deserving of an AU grade IMO. It also looks like it has some verdigris. I would grade it a weak XF/EF details, environmental damage.

The coin they show for VF35 is a poor example in my opinion, as it is a split grade. The reverse appears much stronger to me than the obverse, and generally, the obverse is the most important side in grading. Copper nickel trimes can be difficult to grade in circulated grades due to striking issues. Nevertheless, as I said, I do not consider this to be a strong XF at all. To grade any higher (even within the EF range) you need luster.

P.S. It is bizarre that the site skips from F15 to VF35 to XF45 and then to AU55. It is skipping several intervals.

I agree that this coin a VF piece. I see a fair amount of wear and no mint luster. Yes, strike can be an issue on the vertical lines in the "III" on the reverse, but that is not biggest problem here. It's a used coin.