• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I've got mail - 1918 Lincoln Commemorative (PCGS)

9 posts in this topic

This one is PCGS graded but wanted to see what others would grade this in their collection compared to the TPG.

This one burst with luster and is one of my favorite coins right now!

DeEMSELmSxylTLeWy3PC_1918%20Lincoln%20Commemorative%20obv.jpg

GMtafIO6S5Sakwj4ApKQ_1918%20Lincoln%20Commemorative%20rev.jpg

MS65? The marks on the ace are probably barely evident in the absence of very large magnification like that of the posted images.

My grade would be MS-64. The super large pictures emphasize the marks, but I think that there are enough of them to lower the grade from the MS-65 level by one or two points. I also think that the piece has been dipped, and usually I have found that the grading services don't give the MS-65 grade to a commemorative coin, if the graders think it has been dipped.

Here is the piece in my collection which is quite smooth. NGC graded it MS-64, and yes, it was dipped at some point.

LincolnILO.jpgLincolnILR.jpg

My grade would be MS-64. The super large pictures emphasize the marks, but I think that there are enough of them to lower the grade from the MS-65 level by one or two points. I also think that the piece has been dipped, and usually I have found that the grading services don't give the MS-65 grade to a commemorative coin, if the graders think it has been dipped.

Here is the piece in my collection which is quite smooth. NGC graded it MS-64, and yes, it was dipped at some point.

I'll have to disagree on the dipping issue. I have seen many commemoratives graded at least as high as 67, which appeared to have been dipped.

The images are gigantic so I reduced them to be more open minded. The scruffy cheek and Jawbone are an issue. I'd go MS 63 but can't find any more.

Thanks for taking a look and putting in what you would grade this as in your collection. It is graded as an MS 63, but I think it could have a shot at 64. The marks are not nearly as distracting as they show in my super large photos! lol.

AdqRKPjSn6JsIiU7Fkwn_1918%20Lincoln%20Commemorative.jpg

I like it. I also think it's a beautiful 63 and PCGS graded it fairly. IMO, there are just too many small contact marks on the cheek for a higher grade.

I like it. I also think it's a beautiful 63 and PCGS graded it fairly. IMO, there are just too many small contact marks on the cheek for a higher grade.

+1