• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I've got mail - 1893 Isabella Quarter

7 posts in this topic

I received a few coins in the mail today and thought I'd share and get some outside opinions on grade as well.

Here is the Isabella Commemorative Quarter that came in today. The photos don't do this coin justice in hand. It has really nice luster and great eye appeal that I don't think translates in the photos.

QsrWUiNNQ16oAQMt1HXs_1893%20Isabella%20Quarter%20obv.jpg

LrLsr3MiTceHx9BQRt41_1893%20Isabella%20Quarter%20rev.jpg

Thanks Mark... I was waiting on your feedback. Given your grading expertise, can you tell me what you see as possible rub for an AU grade? I'm going back and forth with this. For me, I think there could be slight wear on the cheek on the obverse but I can't see any wear on the reverse. Under a lamp and glass it just doesn't look like the luster is interrupted on the thigh where the ribbon crosses. This tells me that the cheek could be a hit that scraped across instead of impacting downward.

Your thoughts and input are much appreciated. Thanks again.

Thanks Mark... I was waiting on your feedback. Given your grading expertise, can you tell me what you see as possible rub for an AU grade? I'm going back and forth with this. For me, I think there could be slight wear on the cheek on the obverse but I can't see any wear on the reverse. Under a lamp and glass it just doesn't look like the luster is interrupted on the thigh where the ribbon crosses. This tells me that the cheek could be a hit that scraped across instead of impacting downward.

Your thoughts and input are much appreciated. Thanks again.

You're most welcome, and if you ever want an opinion from me and I haven't chimed in, feel free to contact me.

The cheek disturbance is what causes me to consider the possibility of an AU grade, though nothing else I can see makes me think that.

I would grade your Isabella Quarter AU-58 or 55. There is a rub on the queen's face, and there is rub on the lady's left leg on the reverse. I also see some dark spots under "AMERICA" on the right side of the reverse.

Once more I'll show you the coin in my collection. This piece has never been dipped, and PCGS graded it MS-64.

IsabellaO.jpgIsalbellaR.jpg