• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I've got mail - 1859 IHC

8 posts in this topic

I received a few coins in the mail today and thought I'd share and get some outside opinions on grade as well.

Here is the 1859 that came in the mail. The strike is good overall but you can tell the die was pretty deteriorated by looking at the denticles and ES in STATES on the obverse. On the reverse the ribbons at the bottom of the wreath are weak, the leaves around the wreath, and again the denticles. It still shows some mint luster under the toning when looking at it in hand.

1KLpoKD8SqudiA2iS9te_1859%20Indian%20Head%20Cent%20obv.jpg

aRznJmtWRhewXSrKxFPZ_1859%20Indian%20Head%20Cent%20rev.jpg

I try not to be negative, but if I were you I would try to return this piece. It is corroded, and it is not a very nice example of a copper-nickel cent. I'm trying to help you here.

The "good" or normal color for these coins is white. They can be a little dirty and sometimes they can tone to a golden yellow color.

This piece is dark, and the surfaces are granular. Black is also an undesirable color for these coins. I learned this when I was teenage collector back in the 1960s.

Here is the 1859 Indian Cent from my collection. I bought this raw many years ago and had it graded. NGC called it an MS-64. You will note that the that color is a bit yellow, but the surfaces are smooth.

1859CentO.jpg1859CentR.jpg

BillJones, I'm always open to input and opinions, so please always feel free to offer them with me.

You've got a beautiful example of a '59! I'm in this one for a good price and it fills a hole in my collection. It will work for the money I spent, but I do agree that the surface is less than desirable.

Now that I think about it, maybe you could sell me your '59 for a great price and still make a nice profit since you picked it up in the 1960's! lol, I know that's not happening, but you have a potential buyer here if you ever decide to sell ;)

No, I didn't buy that one in the 1960s. Back then I one that graded VF in my Indian Cent collection, which I sold long ago. I bought MS-64 piece in the mid 1980s.

That black spot is distracting. I just hope it doesn't grow on ya.

I think it's a slider AU based upon the little discoloration on the hair around the ear and the bow looks circulated.

Thanks, but I'm comfortable with this coin. It's a little crusty, but it's not counterfeit. It's filled a hole for now until a great deal on an upgrade comes along.