• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Libertas Americana Medals from the Collection of Henry Russell Drowne

6 posts in this topic

A neat new acquisition which was really fun tracing it's complete history... Enjoy! :)

The following is a glass negative Magic Lantern slide measuring 3 1/4" X 4" in size of the Libertas Americana Medals from the collection of Henry Russell Drowne.

New York City native collector Henry Russell Drowne (1860-1934) loaned his 1781 bronze Libertas Americana Betts-615 and 1783 white metal “Treaty of Versailles Libertas Americana Betts-608 medals to the State University of New York in 1912 to photograph for a presentation titled “The Struggles Of American Independence”.

Their visual department fully documented the slide, however in error labeled it "Obverse and Reverse" when it’s actually just the obverse of two separate medals.

Henry Russell Drowne was a member of the American Numismatic and Archeological Society who held many positions including historiographer, secretary, second vice president, first vice president. Henry Russell Drowne was also a charter member of the American Numismatic Association.

Below is a photograph of Henry Russell Drowne including a Magic Lantern projector which became popular in the 1870’s and came in a variety of different design types. Prior to electricity they where kerosene powered with a smoke stack as seen in the drawing of children of that era enjoying an image projected on the wall.

2cf5eg0.jpg

ekia9e.jpg

pn56q.jpg

5l9m49.jpg

28i3sk1.jpg

Thanks for posting this. Libertas Americana has always been one of my favorite medals. Unfortunately, I can't afford the original so I have to make do with the French restrikes (silver & bronze) that were offered at the FUN Show in 2006.

Chris

Thanks for posting this. Libertas Americana has always been one of my favorite medals. Unfortunately, I can't afford the original so I have to make do with the French restrikes (silver & bronze) that were offered at the FUN Show in 2006.

Chris

Thanks cpm9ball! :)

...I'd expect a master error collector to at least post a pic of a cracked lantern slide.... :)