• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1884-O Morgan Dollar

6 posts in this topic

I don't collect this series and don't have them in any of my collections. I say this, because I know very little about them. This coin is my brother-in-laws and it's just been sitting in a box out in his garage.

I wanted to see what others thought about it's possible grade, surfaces, and variety. I'm fairly confident that this one has been burnished (cloth rubbed). Thanks for any input and help.

1884-O%2BMorgan%2BDollar%2Bobv.jpg

1884-O%2BMorgan%2BDollar%2Brev.jpg

I agree the coin has been polished. The coin appears to be in AU condition.

I can't determine either of those things based on the images.

From the grading perspective these images are too one dimensional to determine very much about the technical grade. One would need to get this coin, and the 1881-S dollar you posted in another thread, and swirl them under a strong light to see what is going on with the surfaces.

All deeply toned coins like these pieces pose grading challenges. Toning can cover up a lot of sins, and even the experts can disagree over the status of a given coin. Adding to the challenge here is the fact that this is a New Orleans mint dollar with some strike issues, which complicates the grading process.

Here is an example of what I mean. This 1862 dollar looks dull and flat in these photos.

1862DollarO-1.jpg1862DollarR-1.jpg

Yet if you take photos from an angle, you will see that this coin is a Proof with reflective surfaces.

1862DollarOPr-1.jpg1862DollarRPr-1.jpg

That's as run of the mill as an unc Morgan gets however, it looks pretty mark free. If it's been cleaned it's worth but bullion, if not it's probably in MS 64 range and worth about $55.

You need to determine if it's been cleaned. In any event, probably not grading worthy.

Thank you guys for the feedback. These are my brother in laws and he was just curious about them, so I told him that I would post them up and see what kind of feedback I got.

If I can grab them back from him sometime soon, then I'll try to post some other images.

Thanks again!