• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cross Over Grading

3 posts in this topic

Hello NGC, Your form indicates that a Cross Over will take place if NGC graders agree to the grade--or one higher--- that the slabbed coin presently is in.

Could the submitter request that NGC Cross Over a coin even if the NGC graders place a lower grade on the coin? We all buy coins that are what we believe to be perfectly OK coins in holders that are overgraded. Example----If I had an ANACS graded AU55 coin, could I request the cross over even if the coin then was returned in an NGC AU50 holder?

I realize that one could crack out the existing coin and send it in "raw". But why would one want to risk removing the coin from a reputable ANACS slab if there was a possibility of getting the coin back in a body bag?

Why would it not be Ok to say----If the coin will slab, place it in the new NGC holder at what NGC feels is the appropriate grade. If it will not slab at all by NGC standards, then return the coin in its original holder?

Hi, NGC will cross the coin depending on the grade requested. When submitting a coin for crossing you can request the same grade or lower. You can also request the coin be crossed at any grade. If the coin will grade at the asked grade or higher we will cross the coin into an NGC holder. However if the coin does not meet the minimum requested grade or the coin has a problem such as cleaning or artificial toning, then the coin will not be crossed into an NGC holder. If the coin is requested to cross at any grade we will cross the coin even if the coin is downgraded unless there is a problem such as cleaning or damage then we will not cross the coin. If the coin will not be crossed into an NGC holder because it doesn’t meet minimum grade set by the submitter or the coin has a problem, we will return the coin in its original holder.

Mr. Turner, I thank you for not only a quick response but for giving me the answer that I had wanted to receive. I try always to buy the coin and not the holder but, if the piece is a nice one, it should not be penalized just because you [the buyer] may not agree with the holder"s assigned grade. You offer to buy it at the grade you think that it is. This way NGC can be asked to give the coin a "fair" grade without risking a body bag. This way we risk only the Cross Over fee which is indeed ok with me. Thank you so much.