• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie needs advice--1838 Half Eagle & Layfayette Dollar

12 posts in this topic

I am a total newbie at this so bear with me. I inherited some coins that were in a frame for over 100 years (somewhere between 1900 to 1905).

The photos of the Lafayette Dollar do not accurately show the toning and luster & the half eagle has luster that does not show up. I'm thinking of having these coins graded (which I've never done before) and 1) do not know what NGC grading tier I should be submitting under and 2) how to set the Declared Value (which would probably also answer the first question). I figured if I have input on the grade, I could figure the answer to these questions.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

IMG_2743_zps1epfew1j.jpgIMG_2744_zpsn2lcjxau.jpgIMG_0806_zpsf9c0zbkr.jpgIMG_2741_1_zpstiqxjvkc.jpgIMG_2742_1_zpslusu54yp.jpg

The reverse of the Lafayette dollar did not come out as the coin actually looks. I added the shot from my iPhone to try to catch the color of the toning.

To post pictures you have to download them to a photo hosting service (Photobucket is free). Once downloaded there click on the IMG of the coin selected, it will illuminate in yellow saying copied when you left click. Come to this thread and "edit" then click the thing that looks like a painters palate. A little box will appear, right click you link into that box, then exit the edit. Repeat as necessary.

DON'T clean your coins in any way!!!!!!!

Oh, and welcome to the boards.

I would say that both coin are in the AU grade and that it would be to your benefit to have them graded. As others have said, don't even think about cleaning these coins or messing with the surfaces in any way. Many collectors would like the toning on the Layfayette, and most evey gold collector would be happy with the 1838 half eagle.

I have no experience with either coin. They are both reasonably rare. You definitely should submit them for grading. Doing so will take most (if not all) of the guesswork regarding their actual value. The Lafayette is worth $450 or more and the 1838 half eagle will run about $650 or more.

Submit them to NGC under the Early Bird/Standard grading tier. $30 each plus handling and insure return mailing. If you are not a Collectors Society Member or prefer not to become one you can have a local coin shop submit them for you if that is necessary.

That toning will make the coin quite desirable if it's as rainbow as it appears.

They both look to be AU. Find a price guide you like (the NGC one here on this website is pretty good), and use the value for the grade you think they are as the "declared value".

Thanks for all the input. It is very helpful.

Submit them to NGC under the Early Bird/Standard grading tier. $30 each plus handling and insure return mailing. If you are not a Collectors Society Member or prefer not to become one you can have a local coin shop submit them for you if that is necessary

I joined NGC & have the 5 early bird coupon & based on the input it looks like I can submit these 2 under that. I have some other coins I know are under the $3k limit so now I'm ready to go.

Is it appropriate to check back in on this thread and let you know how they graded?

Thanks again

~Scott

As I recall the Membership kit does include Earlybird submissions and not Economy submissions. Just add 3 (or more) coins to the submission and send them off. You can fill out the paperwork electronically thru this site. It will require a little patience, fill it out, print it out and send it to NGC at the PO Box listed on the paperwork. You can follow your submission on the Collectors Society page also. (Collector order tracking).

Go to Collector Order Tracking, then Submit Now, then Click NGC Online Submission form. Fill it out, print it and ship the coins (find "How to Submit") to insure you package and number them correctly.

You MUST be signed in to find this!!

When they return it would be fun to see if we guessed correctly.

Is it appropriate to check back in on this thread and let you know how they graded?

Thanks again

~Scott

Yes, please do! We love when people revisit threads like this with grading results! I'm glad you're submitting these -- they are both nice looking coins!

-Brandon

Scott,

1) Welcome to the NGC boards

2) Yes, please post the results of the grades

3) Congrats on getting those coins and good luck on the submission