• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice about a 1893 CC Morgan

11 posts in this topic

Okay, I have a decent MS collection of Morgan Silver Dollars. I feel good about grading MS/AU specimens but this is beyond me! This is selling at a local pawn shop, I KNOW it is not worth the $450 so don't bother commenting on that and I took the pics with my bad android phone. What do you guys think for a grade and with the scratches on the Obverse do you think it will straight grade? Hell may also be cleaned, still not good at detecting that based on the toning! Any opinions would be helpful.

155320.jpg.8b4d317e4d9ac156ed0b87a429625a7b.jpg

155321.jpg.66af9bdb8795e2d64080028b9d9fca66.jpg

I don't think there is any doubt that it has been cleaned but in my opinion that will not matter as much as whether a grader can, in good conscious, consider it just normal wear for a Fine graded key date.

From the look of those photos I think they could and I think it would straight grade as Fine.

I think it looks cleaned and that it would only receive a details grade. I also think that you're setting yourself up or trouble if you buy it - it's not like there aren't others out there, to choose from.

Thanks for the good advice. Interesting how I thought I was getting good at looking at Morgans but I have looked at nothing but MS/AU and this one blew my mind since I never considered looking at these in this condition. Then I realized that there were different things to look for. What gave everyone the guess about the cleaning? Was it the uniformity of the color? Thanks for the lesson!!

Lyn

It doesn't appear to be a harsh cleaning but shiny spots (like the obverse field upper left) and the dirt around the devices on the reverse (like around the arrows) makes you wonder why it ends so abruptly. These circulated coins just have a proper color to look for. That looks like it was coated in graphite after a good cleaning.

IMO.

Is it real? I'm not convinced.

Nothing about it's appearance makes me question its genuineness. What is your issue with it?

Is it real? I'm not convinced.

Nothing about it's appearance makes me question its genuineness. What is your issue with it?

The surfaces look rough and granular. I suppose that might be due to the cleaning.

I agree Jason. My first thought was it might be fake. The surfaces on the cheek, neck and in the fields below E and P looked odd.

Either way, I'd pass on the coin. As Mark said, there are many more of these to choose from....