• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1856 Large Cent Die Scratch or Struck-thru?

17 posts in this topic

Take a look at the pictures of my 1856 Large Cent and let me know what you think. The artifact is above the surface of the field and is a part of the coin, not something that is loose.

I'm thinking die scratch but if so wouldn't there be more of them around or was is so noticeable that they stopped using that die after one piece.

If a struck-thru wouldn't there be a depression in the field instead of it being above the surface?

Your opinion of the grade will also be appreciated.

155242.jpg.f50d6fce043123e7c33a9fc0c5e42945.jpg

155243.jpg.b50904084c4033121d73242acbc328a1.jpg

155244.jpg.2ffc5871fef340f5ad72d4c8cca9486a.jpg

155245.jpg.c424cc493d5749e813fae08d93e37f42.jpg

155246.jpg.72b3bbdbc23eac3746a6333e8a3da2d4.jpg

Scratch.

Note the raised metal to the right of the scratch. That is where the scratched out metal ended up after the sharp instrument scratched the coin.

A struck through would be in the surface, not above it.

Knife cut. At high magnification you might see the grinding pattern from the blade as it was drawn across the cent.

The crooked date is fun!

Knife cut. At high magnification you might see the grinding pattern from the blade as it was drawn across the cent.

The crooked date is fun!

Knife cut? Interesting, are you talking about the slightly lighter color from the back of the head ending up at the raised line of "pushed up" metal?

Behind the portrait....at least that's what it looks like to me based on the photos.

id say pms as well. to bad.....

PMS? I knew Miss Liberty had it tough, but it never occured to me that she was involved in a knife fight during one of her episodes. I always thought she looked bitter and, well, a little... shall we say grumpy? :/:devil:lol

:)

(And I hope no one is offended; I couldn't resist the opportunity for a little fun.)

Scratch.

Note the raised metal to the right of the scratch. That is where the scratched out metal ended up after the sharp instrument scratched the coin.

A struck through would be in the surface, not above it.

^ This.

Die cracks aren't that straight and struck-throughs are indented. This was cut along a straight-edge, and that's just displaced metal.

Die cracks aren't that straight and struck-throughs are indented. This was cut along a straight-edge, and that's just displaced metal.

I wasn't thinking die crack, I was thinking possibly die scratch or maybe the die got in a knife fight :kidaround:

I wasn't thinking die crack, I was thinking possibly die scratch or maybe the die got in a knife fight :kidaround:

If it came from the die, there are others. And there were 2,690,463 of these minted, and nobody else has seen one, yet. In addition, a die scratch that deep would have height on the coin. Psst, this knife fight took place after the coin was struck. ;)