• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Germany is issuing a 5-Euro collectible coin with a polymer ring in 2016

7 posts in this topic

The coin is to be minted in proof and bu in all of the 5 german mints and will weigh around 9g.

A picture can be seen here:

http://www.bundesfinanzministerium.de/Content/DE/Pressemitteilungen/Briefmarken/2015/04/2015-04-29-PM12.html?source=stdNewsletter

Although i like new ideas judging from the photo i think it's ugly, but perhaps the real coin will look better.

Take Care

Jens

I don't care for the design. I would need to see the coin in person but going by your description, it sounds like a gimmick coin. I have the same opinion of the modern NCLT with holograms, such as those from Canada.

Sure it is a gimmick, the design is bland, and it is an NCLT. Just another attempt to separate the collector from his money. I collect coins though so I have no need or interest in a gimmick with a denomination.

Meanwhile the coin is out and generated a little craze, people who don't usually collect coins stood in line to get one, haven't seen so much interest in a coin for years.

A huge press coverage added to that effect.

I must admit the coin really looks much nicer in hand than it does in the pictures and the coins form the different mints have different shades of blue.

So although i'm usually restricting my collection of german coins to those who have really been in circulation i'll make an exception once the prices have come down a bit again, won't pay 20 Euros for a modern 5 Euro coin in bu.

Here is a little video, you can see people waiting in line and in the end you get a good impression of how the ring looks if you hold the coin against the light: