• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Registry Awards

9 posts in this topic

Chris - Thank you for the notice! There are a number of really nicely presented sets this year, including some that did not get awards. To be included among them is a real honor for me. TDN and monsterman are two other guys who hang around here regularly. They are true numismatists. TDN has an encyclopedic knowledge of seated dollars and trade dollars (I think he knows them all individually). monsterman is an unrelenting collector of quality. What they both know is that any of their coins could come out of their holders and, unmolested, would be worth as much (or nearly so) as they are IN their holders. Now that's collecting! cloud9.gif

Sure would be great if many of the others who build great registry sets also took some time to post here. blush.gif I know that TomB has some wild and wonderful Washington quarters in a set somewhere, Wilhborg has exceptionally lovely sets of buffs, and Linda's Daddy has some fantastic dollars, just to name a few. There are others, just wish we'd see more of them.

The registry is best used as a place to share. Money, ignorance, and a penchant for slab inserts can always get you a top set, but sharing great information (visual and written), to me, is key.

Again, thank you.

Hoot

I know that it is a bother, but I wish more people would post pictures of their sets and coins. I for one, would certainly enjoy seeing these great coins.

I just started using the registry a few weeks ago. My coins aren't great, or even high end or monster toned. My sets are even somewhat sparcely populated. But I wanted to be able to share pictures of my coins, even if they aren't all that impressive when compared to most I see here. I also think that's what it should be about.

I've got three sets up now and plan to add a classic commem type set, but I won't add my coins until I get the pictures made, so it may be a while.

BTW, TDN really does know many of the seated and trade dollars personally, but only the ones graded MS65 and above. Myself, I once knew a VG...

• Administrator
I just started using the registry a few weeks ago. My coins aren't great, or even high end or monster toned. My sets are even somewhat sparcely populated. But I wanted to be able to share pictures of my coins, even if they aren't all that impressive when compared to most I see here. I also think that's what it should be about.

I bet there are a lot of people out there that feel their coins aren't worth sharing because they might not be high in value or they might not be that exciting to other collectors.

However, I can tell you that although I've worked for NGC for almost nine years, I am by no means a numismatist and I am not even a collector of coins in my private life. I make that point because even though I have had the great fortune to see some awesome rarities during my time with NGC, I still appreciate a pretty coin whether it is worth $20 or $20K. I even appreciate a not so pretty coin if there is an interesting story about how it was acquired.

We can certainly have endless discussions about the financial implications of Registries but I believe the most powerful aspect of Registries is the opportunity it provides to share the experience of collecting at any level of the game.

So, thanks to everyone that takes the time to provide photos and text in the Registry. It inspires the collecting spirit in all of us.

Just my two cents (pun intended) grin.gif

Congratulations to all this year's award winners!

I wrote the following letter to the Editor of Coin World in reference to a Guest Commentary that I believe fits this discussion:

Dear Coin World:

I am in full support of the Guest Commentary by Gary L. Matthews in the January 24 issue. Gary is absolutely correct in his contention that Registry Set collecting is good for the hobby, collectors and, dare I say, investors. The Registry is merely a reflection of the reality of our times – we live in a technology age.

My collecting has developed to a much higher level directly due to my participation in the NGC Registry. I find the appeal to Registry collecting be driven by three fundamental elements – Competition, Pride, and Knowledge. The competition aspect is on face an obvious component to the process. The ability to see how my coins “stack up” to other similar collections is quite an intense and powerful attraction. Gary speaks directly to the pride element when he points out that the Registry is the new Whitman album. I can now display my collection, thanks to the technology, in such a way that any collector can “see” my accomplishment. Finally, the Registry has allowed me to develop and refine my level of knowledge regarding the grading of coins. The ability to post images within the Registry is a valuable and, to date, under utilized aspect of the Registry. The chance to view and study potentially every certified coin is an invaluable asset to the majority of collectors. This component will develop with time and technology.

I am looking forward the Gary’s new book Registry Set Collecting. I am sure, given Gary’s Guest Commentary, that this will be an excellent resource for all collectors in the coming years. Keep up the great work for our hobby Coin World!

Techno_mike...Mad for those NGC Certified Franklins