• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gold Buffalos posted by McBlzr

12 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

In 2006 the US Mint issued the first $50 Gold Buffalo coin.

I had always liked the Buffalo Nickel as a young collector.

I was even extremely lucky to find a 1937-D 3-Legged Buffalo

in my Dad's pocket change in the '60s. I later traded it for

a $20 Gold coin.

So in 2006, I just had to get some Gold Buffalos from the Mint.

I had done well in my adult professional career. So I ordered

ten (10) from the US Mint. Thus the beginning of my Buffalo Herd.

In 2008, I had some health issues, and got distracted from coin collecting. Thus missing out on the different 4 coin denominations. But I did get 4 of the RED box MS Celebration issue. I have continued adding to the Buffalo Herd each year.

On April 9th this year, in the first 5 minutes of ordering, First Day of Issue, I placed my order for Two 2015 Proof Buffalos. Delivered on April 14th, 2 days after my birthday.

I shipped them of to NGC the next day. Graded on April 24th, and

received on April 30th.

NGC PF 70 Ultra Cameo

Buffalo Label, First Releases slab.

You just can place a $ value on a Collector's Pride & Joy.

16620.JPG

See more journals by McBlzr

Congrat's on the top grade!

I can completely understand your admiration of the Gold Buffalo. Not only is it impressive to hold a heavy 1 oz gold coin in your hand but throw the Fraser buffalo design on it as well - a sight and feeling to behold.

I bought the 2008-W $50 MS70 "key" date and was thinking about slowly adding to it until caught up but have since decided against it. I will probably never be without at least one 1 oz Gold Buffalo to admire from time to time though.

As you describe - it is a joy. :grin:

The only Proof I need is the 2008-W with a mintage of 18,863.

Prices are usually over $ 3,000 not graded.

The 2013 has a lower mintage of 18,584*

but is more available at much lower prices.

Yes and I really don't understand the pricing on the 2008-W PF 70 UC vs the MS 70

I gather from your statement above that you may possibly only be collecting Proofs and may not be aware of what I am confused on as it relates to the pricing disparities.

2008-W Proof Total Mintage = 18,863

2008-W NGC PF 70 UC Population = 3,089

2008-W Burnished Total Mintage = 9,074

2008-W Burnished NGC MS 70 Total Population = 2,505

By looking at the above you would think that the MS 70 would be the higher priced coin. Maybe it has something to do the collector base. It may entirely be possible that there just is not as many collectors collecting either the burnished or the burnished and proof together.

I had a couple people following a listing I had up on eBay for the 2008-W $50 MS 70 but it seems that your journal entry made me think twice about selling. It would be really nice to have a complete $50 set of burnished.

Hahahaha!

What to do; what to do? hm

You have probably seen this website about the mintages.

http://goldbuffaloguide.com/mintages/

Yours is basically the lowest mintage of any Gold Buffalo.

So I would NOT sell until I was bankrupt & homeless.

Here is one of my 2008 Bullion ( No Mintmark) that came in the Red Boxes.

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/CoinView.aspx?PeopleSetCoinID=1629000

Thanks for that website. I was not aware of it and if I do decide to continue building the collection then that site will most assuredly be a welcome resource.

Now you have me motivated even more to possibly continue the collection. I have a couple other burnished in the OGP plastic that are upon inspection, through the compressed plastic wrap, look to be worthy of a MS 70.

In reality though, the cost of the more common dates already graded in NGC holders is not out of reach once you get that big dollar 2008-W out of the way.

Your advice is well founded and I think I will just hang on to it and S L O W L Y try to acquire additions when I can.

I followed you on the registry so I will have the chance later to check out your sets. I look forward to that.

Looking at

sig.jpg

I have put that one in, I think I only have to buy about 9 more already graded.

Ouch! :grin:

If you wait till Oct thru Dec 31, they offer the Retro Black Holder & the Buffalo Label when choosing the correct grading tier & special label option.

2008 Red Box Bullion Buffalos came in that tightly compressed plastic seal.

I keep referring to the remaining 'bullion' MS coins as Burnished but I need to quit doing that since they are different.

I meant to say I have a couple more MS bullion 1 oz in those compressed plastic seals. Not that I have more 2008-W's

I did find this eBay listing for what is supposed to be a 2008-W 1oz Gold Buffalo (at least it is titled that way) and the person even went so far as to include a 2008-W COA but I have downloaded that photo and enlarged it and came to the conclusion that there is not a 'W' mintmark on that coin.

So there is one seller with 518 transactions and 100% feedback who it would seem is going to try and pull a 'Bait and Switch' on someone.

***Edit***

I had sent the seller a question regarding the coin being a 2008 instead of a 2008-W and he said "yes you are right" and I noticed he has changed the listing title so he may not have been out to bait and switch after all. Possibly just a mistake.

Still don't understand why the COA would say minted in West Point and it not have a 'W' on it. Possibly they mint them all there and only mintmark the 2008-W (shrug)

The reverse Buffalo proof in the retro holder really pops. Nice collection Mcblzr and nice web-site Wdrob. Enjoyed both.

Thanks Zebo.

He has a few of them doesn't he... :o

I don't think I would even attempt to be as ambitious. :fear:

I love the gold buffalo, but I was offered a great coin, so I traded away all 7 of mine. On the hunt for more. I'm gonna be hitting the road in a few days, maybe I find a deal out there in Hinterland.

Keep it going. congrats on the 70's

Capt. Brian

I've bought a few of these from the U.S. Mint, including the reverse proof that came out a few years ago, but I never sent them in to be certified. Yours look great.