• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

differences posted by Fishergirl

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

1976s .50

I recently had a few kennedys graded.. They sent back my coins . What is the difference in the grades. one says 1776-1976 silver ms.. other coin says 1976s ms..which we know is silver why not put it on the label.. I attached a photo .

16610.jpg

See more journals by Fishergirl

That is odd because initially I thought one was clad, but the price guide doesn't list a clad made in San Fran, so could it be from a mint set? I don't collect moderns and am interested in the correct answer!

From the US Coins Website:

Bicentennial Coin Varieties

During the 2-year minting of Bicentennial coins, the Philadelphia, Denver, and San Francisco mints struck uncirculated versions of all 3 denominations. Plus, the San Francisco mint struck proof versions in both copper-nickel clad and silver.

Making things even more interesting, the U.S. Mint refined the reverse lettering on the Bicentennial dollar coin for 1976. Thus, there exists a "Type I" and a "Type II" Bicentennial dollar in the case of the copper-nickel clad regular strikes and proofs. There is only a Type I Bicentennial dollar for the silver clad uncirculated and proof offerings.

So, it def came from a mint set.

NGC mistake!! Those are both Silver. There was not a clad 1976-S Kennedy in MS ---- only proof had the S clad.

Might have been listed that way as you might have a variety there. Look closely at TRUST for doubling.

Does the registration # load into the 1976-S silver MS slot in the variety set?

Ask NGC why they would put a non-registry date on your coin slab.

As per the Kennedy Half Dollar 1964 to date complete set. there is a copper nickel clad S mint mark 1976 coin. now if it came from a mint set or someplace else I have no Idea, but that coin pictured is not a silver coin. but a clad one. I do agree with Rick and most of the others I would look at that coin with a high power mag glass looking for doubling and other differences to your silver coin....mike

Poor coin -- it has to be "fixed." Same thing happened to my dog at the pound...at least he's not an Olympian hound.