• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone want to take the impossible Roman coin challenge?

9 posts in this topic

This piece is a from a lot of donated pieces that our club is going to auction off as a fund raiser. The flip that it was in says it is a "Roman Bronze Coin, circa 100 - 400 AD." They also use the word "choice." :insane:

Can anyone narrow this one down a bit for my auction lot description? The piece is about the size of a U.S. half dime (really small). I don't see very many pieces in my limited "library" of ancient coins (a couple of books) that are this size. I'm guessing it is from when Rome was on its last legs.

As any of you ancient coin experts up for a challenge? ;)

Old%20Roman_zpshz2szvgs.jpg

Thanks if you are. (thumbs u

It's okay guys. I couldn't make heads of tails of this coin either.

Does anyone have any idea as what denomination it might be or of a general time period when it might have been issued to say within a century? The seems to be too small to match any of the denominations in book by Zander Klawans I have and with no Latin phrases around the portrait, it's impossible to determine the emperor.

Appears to be a coin of Constantine or one of his descendants.

Difficult to tell them apart. Could be Constantine I, Constantius II, Constans, etc. Or it could be the Valentinians or Theodosius. They all have very similar portraits. Probably the reverse is the key to ID'ing it.

Based on the size it is probably an AE4

I would agree it is probably a Constantine the ...' issue.

Actually, this is rather attractive as far as patina goes; I would shy away from choice, considering the advanced porosity.

Appears to be a coin of Constantine or one of his descendants.

Difficult to tell them apart. Could be Constantine I, Constantius II, Constans, etc. Or it could be the Valentinians or Theodosius. They all have very similar portraits. Probably the reverse is the key to ID'ing it.

Based on the size it is probably an AE4

What is an "AE4"?

Thanks

AE4 is a descriptive term for the smallest bronze counts of the late Roman Empire. These are typically <15mm although I'm not sure 15 is the cut off. It's the equivalent of a denomination I guess. AE being abbreviation for bronze (aes). AE 1-3 are larger size coins.

These are extremely common coins and have been found in great numbers. If you buy uncleaned Roman coins these are the type you usually find.