• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1903 Indian Head Cent - surprise snow variety after purchase!

14 posts in this topic

A 1903 IHC came in the mail today and I was surprised to discover that it's a RPD! It looks to be a Snow-7 variety (FS-01-1903-303).

Take a look and tell me your thoughts and opinions on grade as well.

1903%2BIndian%2BHead%2BCent%2B-%2BSnow-1%2BVariety.jpg

I don't collect or have very much knowledge about Indian cent die varieties, but it appears that you have found an interesting one here.

Unfortunately I don't think that the coin would get a clean grade if you sent it in for certification. It appears to been cleaned to simulate the original mint color. The reverse is especially suspect. The sharpness grade is just about Mint State, but the surfaces are not original.

I see what the others are refering too. The coin looks a shade too pumpkin orange and while luster is apparent, cartwheel is missing. These matters might just be the results of your photography method.

There are about 30 varieties known to this year. While neat, this variety probably carries no premium.

In hand you know if it's been dipped or cleaned. Your call.

If uncleaned, a very solid MS 63 BN would be my guess.

I see what the others are refering too. The coin looks a shade too pumpkin orange and while luster is apparent, cartwheel is missing. These matters might just be the results of your photography method.

There are about 30 varieties known to this year. While neat, this variety probably carries no premium.

In hand you know if it's been dipped or cleaned. Your call.

If uncleaned, a very solid MS 63 BN would be my guess.

I believe it's 'possible' there's a really old cleaning, but that's a maybe. In hand it looks lustrous and it definitely cartwheels. It has wonderful eye appeal for sure either way.

I believe the Snow-7a is considered a rare variety, so it brings alittle more of a premium than most others. It looks like Eagle Eye is asking $350 for a PCGS MS63RB in this variety. But if anyone knows better, please let me know to extend my knowledge base.

Thanks for all of the input so far. Keep it coming please!

My new lighting setup just arrived today, so I retook photos of this 1903 IHC. I think this very accurately shows how the coin looks compared to my original lighting setup. I had to do post white balance before and now I have it calibrated with my Canon.

Let me know if you have any different thoughts on grade and surface.

Thanks again.

1903%2BIndian%2BHead%2BCent%2B%28Snow-7a%2Bvariety%29.jpg

Thanks Raisethis2. I've given it an MS 62 BN grade. I'm taking it to a dealer friend of mine tomorrow to get his opinion on surface condition. I don't think it's been cleaned, but this is sometimes a hard one for me. He's been around it all his life since his Dad was a dealer too. If he thinks it's original then I'm going to submit it. If he thinks there could be issues, then I'll just hold on to it for awhile.

The second picture makes the coin look better, but I'm still not sure it's out of the woods yet. A live examination of the coin by a person with experience is needed.

You are correct BillJones... not out of the woods yet. I'll keep you guys posted on the feedback I get from my buddy.

Btw, how do you like the photo with my new lighting setup? I didn't have to make any adjustments, just copied onto my background and made it look fancy. But no changes to the coin photo. Interested in your feeback. Thanks.

Yeah, I put it on the white background the 2nd time so that there were no distractions.

I just left my buddy's, and he thinks it's good to submit. It's only his opinion, but I feel confident in his knowledge.

I'll post an update once it comes back.

Congrats on the find! I don't know anything about these varieties - are they worth a premium? Did you cherry a nice pick?

The coin itself looks pretty good from the second set of pictures, but the obverse fields still worry me a little bit.

That's right physics-fan3.14, this particular variety brings a premium.

I actually didn't pick it, I purchased it to fill a empty spot in my collection but it ended up being an rpd.

Fingers crossed it comes back good. We'll see shortly.