• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question Regarding a Possible Discovery Coin

10 posts in this topic

I'm 99% certain I have what I believe (and a couple of others who have viewed it) a Discovery Coin. Without getting too much into the details here, I'd like to forward it, express mail, to NGC, along with documentation.

Now, is it best to do so via which grading teir? I know if I request one day express that might place too much pressure to get it looked at and graded, but I also don't want to wait too long.

Which Service level is best for you, offering the time you need to verify yet also the quickest for me?

For NGC to warrant “discovery coin” on the holder the coin has to be new from a completely researched and documented comprehensive collection of work that NGC recognizes. For example if a new die variety is found on a series thought complete. This happened in 2004 with 1807 Overton O-115 when a previously unknown die was discovered. For the full story click the link below:

http://ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.asp?IDArticle=201

Currently NGC recognizes as complete:

• Half cents by Cohen numbers

• Large cents by Sheldon (1793-1814) and Newcomb (1816-57) numbers

• Half dimes (1794-1837) by Logan-McCloskey numbers

• Dimes (1796-1837) by John Reich numbers

• Quarter dollars (1796-1838) by Browning numbers

• Half dollars (1794-1836) by Overton numbers

If a previously unknown coin from one of those references was found it could warrant “Discovery Coin”. Other than these examples, NGC will not place “Discovery Coin” as a designation on it’s holder.

Thank you. I'll do so via Express mail with all the documentation I have. Once you see this one, you'll be shocked!

Front page Numismatic News and Coin World?

I honestly think so...

I'm 99% certain I have what I believe (and a couple of others who have viewed it) a Discovery Coin. Without getting too much into the details here, I'd like to forward it, express mail, to NGC, along with documentation.

Now, is it best to do so via which grading teir? I know if I request one day express that might place too much pressure to get it looked at and graded, but I also don't want to wait too long.

Which Service level is best for you, offering the time you need to verify yet also the quickest for me?

Braddick,

Can you enlighten us yet with more details? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Yes. I had a nice chat with David Lange at Long Beach and he assisted in filling out an invoice for this one.

He wrote, "Prototype" under variety!

We'll see. . .

(I used 'Express' so I should know in a few days. . .)

thumbsup2.gif