• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EXPERT ADVICE PLS

12 posts in this topic

Hi i do a bit of coin collecting but only in my country currency (south-africa) i have just acquired a new coin for my collection.. "1992 FRENCH 20 CENTIMES" the reason i bought this coin is because its the first time i actually seen a coin of this type ( the face and the back is 180 degrees opposite) also known as "been struck in coin alignment" also what makes this coin special this is 1992 coin and in 1993 france joined the EU and centimes is no more produced.. Can anyone comment on? Is this a collectors coin and of value?? Im going to post pictures for you to look at..

Thank u Dev

PS: mail me at: dm@ltgroup.co.za should u wish to see these pix i can seem to find whr to upload them..

Welcome to the boards.

What you have is a rotated die coin (if it's what I think you're describing). The numismatic community has for a very long time made it a point to collect the very first and very last year of just about anything, I'm guessing the coin isn't rare but I'm not a world coin collector so I cannot say.

KM# 930

20 Centimes (0.20 FRF)

Aluminium-bronze

Weight

4 g

Demonetized

02-17-2002

I believe they made approx. 90,000,000 in 1992

I believe in the ngc coin price they value this coin at 15c in choice unc

Marianne in left profile wearing the Phrygian cap of liberty, a national emblem of France, is surrounded with the lettering: "REPUBLIQUE FRANÇAISE" (French Republic)

I am well aware of the size weight the amount that was made by the mint etc... my Question was!!!! " is this coin collectable" because it was (STRUCK IN COIN ALIGNMENT) and then went on to give a bit of history behind it..

Yep total newbie, i do however read and understand what i read...

I am well aware of the size weight the amount that was made by the mint etc... my Question was!!!! " is this coin collectable" because it was (STRUCK IN COIN ALIGNMENT) and then went on to give a bit of history behind it..

I collect mostly U.S. coins although I am branching out into English coins from around 900 AD to the present (One coin per king or queen is my goal.)

For most of us unusually rotated dies don't mean very much. It's the sort of thing that is interesting, but the monnetary premium for it is usually not there. A few years ago there were some collectors who did fancy these things, and a few of those collectors were willing to pay a premium for them as something unusual, but I've not heard much about movement of late.

I don't collect Frence coins at all, although I might end up with a Richard the Lion Heart diner because that's the only way you can get his name on a coin. The British coins during Richard's rule had another king's name on them. What I'm saying is I don't anything about the French coin market.

Another way to look at this is that I have a 1970 British Proof set. That set marked the last year that British struck coins under their old system of pence, shillings and pounds before they initiated the decimal coinage. That set is not especially valuable.

As much as I am aware there is nothing special about this coin . Per NGC, "1991-1993 dated coins, non-Proof, exist in both coin and medal alignment". Furthermore, these coins were produced well past 1992 with the denomination ending in 2001.