• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADE POSTED: 1918 50 Cents

16 posts in this topic

I really liked the original looking surfaces of this coin, so I pulled the trigger.

It is in a PCGS holder -- what do you think it grades? hm

1918C_Newfoundland_50C_GTG_composite_zps1hyny4am.jpg

PCGS called this an MS61...

That is a nice looking coin. I would not know where to begin since I am unfamiliar with the series. I am willing to take a guess though.

MS64

Based on the pics, I'd call it 64. The strike is average, the surfaces look relatively mark free. The color is attractive, but no big bonus - but the toning appears to have muted the luster (which holds the grade back).

Given that its PCGS grading a foreign coin, however, there is absolutely no way to guess what they called it.

My first thought is that it is a 64. But like someone else has mentioned, I know very little about that series, certainly have never looked at any....

regardless of the grade, it looks like a really nice coin.

and depending on what the coin looks like in hand sight seen

anywhere between au 58 and ms 64

--------------------------------------------------------------------

but since all I have is the photograph

again my grade guesstimate is au 58

please read my signature line as per below

Thanks all for the guesses. I was surprised by the grade on the PCGS holder -- as it certainly doesn't have the "dog" look that I usually associate with MS61 grades. My grade for it is MS62/63.

These particular coins don't come nice very often. Most circulated heavily, and many have stripped or dipped out surfaces. This isn't a "wow" coin in terms of color, but the skin sure looks original to me. It's a keeper.

1918C_Newfoundland_50C_PCGS_MS61_composite_zpsxxzog75l.jpg

IMO that coin is either way under graded, OR it has an abundance of hairlines that can only be seen when the coin is rotated under light.. The type of hairlines Im talking about cannot be seen in pictures. That is a beautiful coin as far as im concerned, if it doesn't have hairlines, I would definitely crack and send to be graded. But that's just me.

Nice coin.

I noticed I had the very same effigy of King George V on a coronation medal. Possibly they unfairly were comparing the strike detail with that of a medal or years with a more complete strike. (shrug)

1935_George_Mary_Silver_Jubilee.jpg

IMO that coin is either way under graded, OR it has an abundance of hairlines that can only be seen when the coin is rotated under light.. The type of hairlines Im talking about cannot be seen in pictures. That is a beautiful coin as far as im concerned, if it doesn't have hairlines, I would definitely crack and send to be graded. But that's just me.

Nice coin.

The numeric grade is immaterial to me. The surface conditions are superb for the issue, and I'm not planning to sell anytime soon, so there is no reason for me to give the TPGs more money. It will be perfectly fine in its current "clothes" ;)