• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

78 8TF... how will this clean up?

27 posts in this topic

I've heard from some old-timers that an ultrasonic bath was not uncommon, but I don't know how this would affect the surfaces. On the other hand, if you don't have any experience using pure acetone (not nail polish remover!), you might do more harm than good.

Chris

Well it looks to be a really clean coin.... free of bagmarks etc. So anyone venture a grade here from the pix? They're all I've got for now. The haze though has got to come off one way or another before submitting the coin. I'm good w/ an ultrasonic as I've used one every day now for 38 years.

Have you ever used a ultrasonic cleaner on a coin that you submitted for grading? I've always thought that the sonic cleaner was somewhat acidic and actually removes a microscopic layer of the metal along with the dirt.

Or you could use an extremely dilute solution in the ultrasonic cleaner? Basically it just has a high frequency vibration unit that agitates the object so as to shake dirt, etc. off jewelry or coins.

I would think a soak in acetone would not harm any metal, only remove pvc, dirt, gunk and other undesirable substance but apparently I am mistaken.

So if you go the NCS approach you will have to pay around $25-$30 minimum and then economy grading if you want.

" I've always thought that the sonic cleaner was somewhat acidic and actually removes a microscopic layer of the metal along with the dirt."

Well if you were to use some sort of acidic liquid IN the ultrasonic, of course it would. I use a liquid jewelry cleaner in mine to remove dirt and polishing rouge from gold, silver and platinum, but I can float a smaller plastic container in it w/ just plain water and whatever's in it gets the benefit of the ultrasound as well. That's what I've been using on most coins. Alcohol works well too. And this is a real ultrasonic machine; not a "vibrator" wannabe.

http://www.stuller.com/products/23-5858/?groupId=14662

Should I make a little youtube vid for yawll?

I don't think that those black spots on the face and left field are going to be removed by any means other that physical methods. This coin is a lost cause. All you will do is makes them more obvious if you lighten the fields.

I don't think that those black spots on the face and left field are going to be removed by any means other that physical methods. This coin is a lost cause. All you will do is makes them more obvious if you lighten the fields.

Bill I'll take that as a challenge... T'will film myself cleaning it up, and; send it in. As for the dark areas in the field, I've seen worse make 65 w/just such so I'm not sure till I have it in hand how I'll deal with that if at all. But ultrasonic and H2o is a given. I didn't pay much for the coin so it will be fun to see what happens!

regards, m

I've heard from some old-timers that an ultrasonic bath was not uncommon, but I don't know how this would affect the surfaces. On the other hand, if you don't have any experience using pure acetone (not nail polish remover!), you might do more harm than good.

Chris

I can all but guarantee that the "new timers" are using it (judiciously of course) as well.

If the black spots are copper oxide, they will not come off except with mechanical help.

Unlike most the others, im not one to quickly advise against a conservation (when done properly and safely it has a place IMO ). However, I am looking at that coin and seeing AU underneath all that haze you want to remove. So, if it were me and that my coin, I'd make good and sure I knew for sure whether it is or isn't UNCIRCULATED. if it is not 100% for sure UNCirculated, then all any rinsing, dipping, bathing, conservation, or cleaning will do is make it look bad/worse/unnatural/etc..

That said, if I'm right, and it is AU, then it isn't going to matter what you do, theRe will be nothing to gain and only possible you lose by messing with it.

Just my thoughts on the situation

" I've always thought that the sonic cleaner was somewhat acidic and actually removes a microscopic layer of the metal along with the dirt."

Well if you were to use some sort of acidic liquid IN the ultrasonic, of course it would. I use a liquid jewelry cleaner in mine to remove dirt and polishing rouge from gold, silver and platinum, but I can float a smaller plastic container in it w/ just plain water and whatever's in it gets the benefit of the ultrasound as well. That's what I've been using on most coins. Alcohol works well too. And this is a real ultrasonic machine; not a "vibrator" wannabe.

http://www.stuller.com/products/23-5858/?groupId=14662

Should I make a little youtube vid for yawll?

Sure. A vid would be most helpful.

Curious CAL

Well it looks to be a really clean coin.... free of bagmarks etc. So anyone venture a grade here from the pix? They're all I've got for now. The haze though has got to come off one way or another before submitting the coin. I'm good w/ an ultrasonic as I've used one every day now for 38 years.

I would guess the grade: EX 45.

CAL 2c

I agree. Leave it alone.

Lance.

What do you guys think a dip would do? I never did that, but there are a lot of dipped Morgans with grades.

I know what a dip will do.... nothing! Other than get rid of that haze of course. What I was saying is that if it were my coin I would make absolute sure, 100% certain that the coin is a BU coin...

" I would make absolute sure, 100% certain that the coin is a BU coin..."

And so it is... or so I'm thinking.

Here's a small vid of how I've at least freed the surface of whatever was on it:

And some new pix of the coin once ultrasonic-ed:

17302581165_dfe5c93c82_c.jpg[/url]DSC09225

17114832298_c27da7ba32_c.jpg[/url]DSC09224

17302627465_882884f0d5_c.jpg[/url]DSC09222

17300817672_cba36f21dd_c.jpg[/url]DSC09219

17115100610_f4902e6c1b_c.jpg[/url]DSC09220

17300790472_a64835f2ca_c.jpg[/url]

So not a bad coin however my guess is it will come back "environmentally damaged" Also some pix of it's incomplete reeding..partial collar? is that a + or a -?

edit: I find it's a plus... and a pretty good one at that especially in a MS coin.

Well, I cant say it looks better. in the first picture you posted (the one with the haze intact) it looked like it was either a high AU or if UNC a 64 or 65. Now that the haze is gone and there is nothing obstructing the view of the surfaces, it does look to be UNC. Unfortunately that haze also made all that noise/chatter clear and noticeable too.. I think if you sent it to grade, you would get a 62, 63 at most, and that is if the picture is making the coin look a little worse than what it really is. if the pic is making it look better, than Id say a 62 at best.

The reeding is pretty cool, I would be pleased if I found a coin like that, if for no other reason other than just to become educated about it.

So my question is..... WHAT IS IT THAT WE ARE LOOKING AT/SEEING ON THE EDGE THERE?

watched the YouTube videos!

"Nixon was not a crook - he just wanted us to have great coins!"

CAL lol