• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I think Abe took a beating .....

9 posts in this topic

It looks like PMD to me. Note that the 2nd "S" of STATES and the 1st "A" of AMERICA appear to be flattened slightly. This is what I'd expect to see if another coin was hammered against the obverse.

Chris

hm

What do you mean - placing one penny on top of another and hitting it with a hammer?

I would have never thought that would have been intentionally done. When I had first seen it going through A BUNCH of change today I thought for sure it had to have been one penny in the way when the dies closed on another (this one).

But I think I see what you are talking about but that is actually "LIBERTY" and the portion you see on the edge is BERT and part of the Y.

I will take a closer picture this time.. ;)

Also, I misunderstood what you were referring to previously. Now I understand.

This shows it much better I believe. Still could be PMD. (shrug)

closeup_berty.jpg

Also I should point out that it seems to fit the LIBERTY on a dime but I could not get the rim to place correctly. Possibly a quarter.

Nope. It is the dime for sure.

DimeOverPenny.jpg

I agree with Chris, PMD. If the coin were actually struck that way then the other rim marks would have some of the design left behind as well.

Yeah, that is PMD. They are sometimes called "sandwich coins". You sandwich a coin between two coins (usually the same denom, but I guess these are different). You then thwack the top coin with a hammer, and it will leave an impression on the middle coin. Nefarious types then try to sell them as mint errors - double struck off center flipover errors, or some variation.

The key here is - the second image will be incuse, whereas a genuine error (struck by dies) will be raised.

The key here is - the second image will be incuse,

And it you can't tell from an image if it is incuse or not, it will also be reversed.

I agree with Chris, PMD. If the coin were actually struck that way then the other rim marks would have some of the design left behind as well.

The fact that it did not leave the impression on the previous rim locations had me scratching my head as well.

Yeah, that is PMD. They are sometimes called "sandwich coins". You sandwich a coin between two coins (usually the same denom, but I guess these are different). You then thwack the top coin with a hammer, and it will leave an impression on the middle coin. Nefarious types then try to sell them as mint errors - double struck off center flipover errors, or some variation.

The key here is - the second image will be incuse, whereas a genuine error (struck by dies) will be raised.

I would have never thought. Really makes you think twice and study a purported raw "error coin" before purchasing it -- of course I don't collect error coins so I guess that would be a good thing to keep in mind if you did.

My brother-in-law needed to borrow some money and he had a bag full of change he was going to put in one of those change to cash machines. My wife gave him all the money he needed and decided that I was going to go through that bag. :o

Took me forever.. I only found this coin and a 1961 proof nickel which I originally thought was a PL until I realized they did not use the 'S' mintmark in 1961 for proofs --- gave that to one of my grand kids.

I hope I was correct on the nickel. hm

Thanks for the opinions.