• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEWP - my 1st Colonial - Rosa Americana

6 posts in this topic

I've grown a bit tired of Moderns and can't seem to justify the expenditures on them anymore. When I spotted this Colonial issue by William Wood I thought it was a nice looking representation of the Rosa Americana coins and made an offer. I don't have it in hand yet, but wanted to share in advance (as I'm somewhat excited) and I'm hoping it'll look even better in hand. Also, as a plus this coin seems to be a more scarce variety with the stop after the 3 in the date. I'll give it a day for thoughts then post the grade. Thanks for checking it out!

1723-Rosa-Americana.jpg

Doug that is a very nice addition. (thumbs u

Makes me miss that 1723 Woods Hibernia I had at one time that was about AU58 or so. For some reason I find those coins really interesting.

The Rosa Americana coins were supposedly issued to benefit the American colonies, but they were really more for the benefit of William Wood. The story becomes a bit like an article from a super market tabloid. It has been said that the duchess of Kendal, who was one of King George's favorite mistresses, helped Wood secure the rights to produce these pieces in exchange for £10,000.

These pieces were made of a very unusual alloy, which has been called "bath metal." It consisted of 75% copper, 24.7% zinc and 0.3% silver. This metallic composition is said to be unpleasant to handle because it is prone to have uneven edges. At rate the colonists didn't care for these coins very much despite the fact that there was a shortage of circulating coinage in the American colonies.

I found this example in an old Heritage Sale (it is not the same coin) and I'm supposing my NEWP is of the same variety as mine displays both the period after REX and the 3 in the date.

"Martin 2-F, W-1282, R.7. The very rare W-1282 variety of the 1723 Rosa Americana penny is recognized by the presence of a period after REX and another period after 1723."

--

The example I purchased resides in a slab from ATS with a straight grade of XF40. Further research and better pics will certainly be due upon it's arrival home.

Thank you very much for the replies.

Methinks you're going to like that coin. You'll probably leave it on your desk for a few days so you can pick it up and look at it now and then. XF40 grade makes sense to me.