• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you have coins that look fake but are real?

12 posts in this topic

Most mint products were good, but sometimes they issued coins that were as bad as the fakes. Do you any?

I have seen some really odd looking Peace Dollars. I don't know what caused it, but a few them don't look much better than those silver rounds I've seen with facsimiles of the Peace design on them. I had one at one time, but I sold it.

Yes---mostly US but coins of other major countries would be interesting too. I once saw a Sovereign with extreme starburst -- looked awful, but it was authenticated.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Most Dahlonega Mint coins from the 1850s look fake when compared to Philadelphia Mint coins of the same denomination and date.

I think todays low relief circulating coinage looks fake compared to the higher relief coins they replaced.

There is just not enough detail and they look a little cartoonish.

The first circulation struck Wyoming Statehood quarter I seen looked to me like a game token...I had to do a double take and flip it over to see George, not very inspiring.

This Liberia coin looks amateurish and "fake" to me -- at least the liberty side. It has a horse on the reverse though, so it must be "cool"....right? (shrug)

;)

1997_Liberia_Horse_5Dollars_PCGS_MS67_composite_zpsvg9bw5yx.jpg

I think todays low relief circulating coinage looks fake compared to the higher relief coins they replaced.

There is just not enough detail and they look a little cartoonish.

Chuck E. Cheese coins. :)