• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Photography Approach Comparison - Deerfan / wdrob

9 posts in this topic

I found this interesting and would be curious to compare the photography environments used (i.e; aperture, lens, camera model, mode, shutter speed, etc.. ) between the two photos of the exact same coin.

The first photo is mine and I can state the environment in which that the photo was taken and the second photo is Justin (Deerfan's) photo that was used in the 'Money Marketplace' listing and hopefully he will see this thread and be able to fill in the blanks on his setup.

I am not posting this to determine which photo is best. Justin takes much better photos than I ever can so hopefully it will not be misconstrued. But a comparison between the environments might help me (and possibly others) learn a bit more about coin photography.

2002_ASE_Bill.jpg

2002_ASE_Justin.jpg

My guess is that it is the lighting and not so much the camera producing the differences.

Lighting angles and spectrum of light sources.

Yes I agree and have no doubt that the lighting played a major role. There are various scene modes on the Canon and I think he uses the same camera as I do as well as bellows. I am curious to know all the nuances with his photo.

You got to keep in mind that I am still in the testing and trying phase of these "Daylight Lamps" and I am curious as to whether he used Reveal, LED, etc.. as well as other meta data from the photos.

Actually I guess he could just do a screenshot like this from his Digital Photo Professional app and it would tell just about all I am curious about.

Bill, I use a few different settings for my photography. It usually depends on the coin that I'm imaging and no two coins use the same setting or require the same lighting angle. I am using a Canon T3i with the bellows and a 105mm enlarging lens. I'd have to go into my camera settings to see which mode I'm in but I'm pretty sure it's just on a default setting. I don't use any of the scene modes though. Hopefully you will understand why I am not giving out all the details of my setup and all the different settings I am using.

Bill,

Have you tried Mark Goodman's book? If not, I would take a look. I am in the process of going through it myself.

I have not bought his book but I have read his website thoroughly on a few occasions and picked up much useful information from there, but I can't say that I am disappointed with my results. I was able to capture the true deep russet tones as well as the green peripheral and all without exposure compensation.

I never even thought for a moment that secretive information was being disclosed so I am glad Justin pointed that out. ;)

Which image is the best portrayal of how the colors look with the coin in hand? I ask, because these kinds of images seem to lack the glow of a coin in hand that is turned to catch the light.

403f448d-779d-4caf-a628-04d68daf8db0_zpsyixbmyo6.jpg