• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Langbords win!

155 posts in this topic

For those reading parallel threads on PCGS and NGC, the following statement by poster mr1874 might be very confusing:

What would be interesting to find out is when those specials passed assay and when they were returned to the Mint.

Coins that are subject to physical assay - Special Assay coins or Annual Assay Commission pieces actually tested - are destroyed in the process. All that remains is a lump of gold which is credited back to the mint of origin. Since the purpose of Spacial Assay was to double check the assays made at each mint, ALL Special Assay coins were destroyed.

As I've tried to get across to many, speculating on outcomes when you don't understand the process details leads to nothing but confusion.

Word ATS is that the Feds have asked for a 30-day extension of the appeal deadline so that the Solicitor General can chime in. It was pointed out that if the case were to go to the Supreme Court the S.G. would handle it.

Could you send out a link to the ATS forum? A few people have been talking about that on this thread

RWB

Coins that are subject to physical assay - Special Assay coins or Annual Assay Commission pieces actually tested - are destroyed in the process. All that remains is a lump of gold which is credited back to the mint of origin. Since the purpose of Spacial Assay was to double check the assays made at each mint, ALL Special Assay coins were destroyed.

I wasn't misunderstanding that specials were destroyed.So noted that lump of gold not sent back to the Mint.I made the post and then it occurred to me that I may be guilty of some misspeak.Good catch.

Did the Mint actually do special assays right there at the Mint or did the specials always get sent to Washington DC for testing?

All Special Assay coins were tested at Mint HQ in Washington.

The Superintendents could, and often did, have their own assay of coins so they had a clear check on the weight and fineness of the coins. Whenever a coin failed Special Assay or Annual Assay, there was a long and uncomfortable investigation and occasionally replacement of officers.